View Single Post
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:38 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Foster View Post
This is a very difficult topic for someone like me: A bald-faced amateur who started out knowing nothing and after over a year of work, knows less than I started. That's how it feels, anyway.

First and foremost, let me emphasize that I have learned a tremendous amount here. I am aware of how generous people have been with their time and expertise, and I'm very, very grateful. That's one reason this is so hard for me to say.............

............... But beginners often don't know which is the better one! Because of the huge disparity in ability and desired quality of images, I often stop posting images while I regroup. It takes a while to gather the courage to post when I know my work is not good enough.

So, an open forum will have a lot of garbage images. The alternative is a tighter forum with better images that is also less open.
Hi Rachel,

Follow Through: A lot of us have brilliant ideas. It's carrying these to a finish that we want to accomplish in Riskit! We do try lots of things and not do more on that project as a new idea comes along. We'd like folk to try to take one idea and make it work! When there's critique, it may knock people totally off track! Well we have to brush ourselves off and get right back on again! So we want to see follow through after even harsh critique, at least some of the time. Remember, we take what is posted seriously.

Selecting the best image! For sure it's hard. With photography, like all art, destruction of our babies must be accepted. Thanks for being honest about your difficulty in selecting pictures. We're considering solutions, including us moderating fora and or having mentors to help you with those decisions. Even just two images are much better than adding two more that are no more distinguished! This is a partnership between folk here, so thanks!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.