Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Photography as Art

Photography as Art Original boundary-testing images. Open to comments without moderation. For works intended for clients and galleries submit to GALLERY ONE.

Old June 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM

Default E-3 Live View and Textures

I got to get out and put to use E-3 features that I haven't used before (other than playing around with them when I first bought the camera a year ago. My 3D animator friend was going to shoot a bunch of 360 panos in an old abandoned factory, and he asked if I wanted to trail along - and so I did.

I knew that I would have a plethora of textures, shadows, and other interesting content to shoot while attempting to stay out of view. I seldom use a tripod in my normal shooting, but decided that I would shoot everything at 100ISO and let the shutter speeds fall where they may - - - that would require a tripod. Something that I have never really benefited from if the swivel LCD screen and Live View - and so I decided to do all the shots with Live View and Manual Focus using the 10X magnifier. It was awesome for shots like this where time can be taken. The Swivel screen allowed me to aim my camera at the ceiling and any conceivable angle - and compose and focus with ease. Another Feature of the E-3 that I have never really used was the Anti Shock feature, essentially popping up the mirror like a Mirror Lock in the old days and waiting a second or two before firing to stabilize the camera. Image Stabilization was Turned OFF being I was on a tripod.

All shots were taken with my E-3 and 12-60 (24-120) lens, in either Vivid mode or Black and White mode at 100 ISO, saved as SuperFine JPEG files.

1 ) 43mm : f6.3 @ 1/5'th

2 ) this is an HDR where the dark section is burried deep in the shadows of a metal beam

3 ) 27mm : f5.6 @ 1/250'th

Creative Wedding and Portrait Photography by Robert Watcher: www.robertwatcher.com
Adventures in Travel with Rob and Anne Watcher: www.travelvirgins.net
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM

4 ) 60mm : f5.6 @ 1/320'th

5 ) 12mm : f5.6 @ 1/500'th

6 ) 12mm : f5.6 @ 1/8'th

Creative Wedding and Portrait Photography by Robert Watcher: www.robertwatcher.com
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM

7 ) 60mm : f6.3 @ 1.3 sec

8 ) 60mm : f5.6 @ 1/15'th

9 ) 40mm : f5.6 @ 1/10'th

Old June 6th, 2009, 07:50 PM

First shot was a highlight streaking through the open ceiling onto the concrete floor. Second shot is shooting out through the open roof. Third shot is shooting down a set of metal checker plate stairs.

10 ) 24mm : f6.3 @ 1/100'th

11 ) 43mm : f5.6 @ 1/400'th

12 ) 42mm : f5.6 @ 1/160'th

Old June 6th, 2009, 07:50 PM

These two are obvious favourites. I selected a metal beam that had been burned and scorched several years ago when the place caught on fire. The texture, colour and curling paint caught my eye. The first one is from a 3 inch strip of metal on the edge of the I beam - the second shot is from the flat area.

13 ) 60mm : f5.6 @ 1/80'th

14 ) 60mm : f5.6 @ 1/60'th

Old June 6th, 2009, 10:16 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Hi Rob,

Your use of the E3 and the live view option with the articulating screen is exemplary. There are a lot of images to consider! Generally up to 4 images of the same theme works well.

Yes, they are all interesting but it's tough to talk about over a dozen images which differ so much in form, texture, composition and mood. Moreover, the images have been processed so differently. Some appear to have altered colors, others are B&W!

So I will ask you to leave the images here but at the same time start several new tightly themed new threads to replace them, for example:
  1. B&W abandoned factory
  2. Macro of patina on old wall
  3. Reflections in industrial spaces

This would allow us to comment! Right now it's a major challenge to know how to weave one's way through this large and diverse set of images!

Thanks,

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.