Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old August 6th, 2010, 01:37 PM

Default 70 Gigapixel Panorama (new record)

Perhaps this is the wrong section? I figure it is more news and the panorama section is more for 'personal' art, where as this is more 'news'. (Please move it if I am wrong, also, this news is over a week old, so if it is already here, please just delete the topic)

Anyway, this new 70 billion pixel image of budapest just replaced the previous world record of 45 gigapixel image of Dubai as the worlds largest image.

You can check out the image here (Remember to zoom and move left to right and such, key things are in boxes at the bottom of the image you can click to zoom in on, like the hot air balloon or the jumping workers.)
http://70gigapixel.cloudapp.net/

The cameras used were two Sony A900's, 400mm Minolta lenses and 1.4X teleconverters, as well as robotic camera mounts. (Ended up over 200gb file size lol)

Just thought I would pass it along, I am sure you can dig up some more information with a bit of digging.
Old August 6th, 2010, 02:18 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Winker View Post

Anyway, this new 70 billion pixel image of budapest just replaced the previous world record of 45 gigapixel image of Dubai as the worlds largest image.
This is the feat of Autopano Giga from Kolor, a French company run by wonderful people. One of the principals was in my home a year ago and I am so impressed with him and his company. Look here for more info on autopano Giga!

The fact that APG could stitch a 200 GB file is amazing! That was 2 days of computer processing! It had to be cut in sections to play with it in Photoshop!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM
pro member

Very cool. This comes after they did one of Paris, Harlem and Yosemite (all accessible from the front page of their site).

They certainly have their work cut out for them as there is no shortage of exciting places to photograph in high resolution. The most challenging part is deciding which location will be next I would imagine!

Anyone with a wall big enough to display one of these out there?
Old August 8th, 2010, 01:17 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Briot View Post
Very cool. This comes after they did one of Paris, Harlem and Yosemite (all accessible from the front page of their site).

They certainly have their work cut out for them as there is no shortage of exciting places to photograph in high resolution. The most challenging part is deciding which location will be next I would imagine!

Anyone with a wall big enough to display one of these out there?
Lionel, at Kolor.com is a wonderful guy with a vision to make panos work even if the pictures are handheld and somewhat screwed up. The nice thing is that he also has special plugins for the most popular automatic pano tripod heads too.

With the use of collaborating software, aleady built into auto pano tour, one can go from one 3D world to another.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.