Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old April 28th, 2011, 11:28 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Layers in Lightroom and Aperture!

OnOne has avaialble for free download a preview version of Perfect Layers.

• Combine multiple images from Lightroom into a single, layered file
  • Perfect Layers 1.0 will include Aperture and Bridge support
  • Adjust layer size, position, blending mode and opacity
  • Use layer masks and masking tools to blend multiple layers together

Even "If you're not a heavy duty Photoshop user, Perfect Layers is the simple yet powerful way to experience the creative possibilities layers offer. For example you could take two exposures of the same scene and merge them into one file with the correct overall exposure.

You could also take two images of the same family portrait setting and merge them to a single file so you can take the best smiles from the two images. You could even combine multiple images to create a montage or album page layout.

The files that are created by Perfect Layers are non-destructive and can even be opened and edited by Photoshop and Photoshop Elements later if desired."

Blending layers: "With Perfect Layers you can control how much of each layer is visible by using the familiar Masking Brush from PhotoTools 2.6. Similar to using a layer mask, you can paint with the onOne Masking Brush to reveal or hide areas of a layer. The masking brush is non-destructive and can even be re-edited with Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

Best of all, Perfect Layers brings you the power and creativity of blending modes to Lightroom and Aperture. Get amazing and highly stylized effects with simple blending modes in Perfect Layers."

Read more, look at videos and Downloadhere!

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:31 PM

Default Would you plan to use "Perfect Layers" in your workflow or would you just open CSx?

So Lightroom and Aperture users, how does it work for you and could this mean not having Photoshop on your laptop?

How about combining that with U-point technology of Nik?

How do you see it being helpful?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 29th, 2011, 03:04 AM

I don't use any of them and If I had to do that I'll think ACR immediately.... BTW is Aperture just for Mac Users? (I never had the will to check out). As far as I read some random stuff on the internet it looks like there's nothing I can't do with Bridge/PS/ACR.. (maybe not the DAM stuff probably)...Anyway these two are too expensive, I think.
Old April 29th, 2011, 03:54 AM

Personally I don't need it, as I don't use Lightroom.

But for whomever thinks about buying it because he/she has neither Photoshop nor any other image editing program, I'd say the price is to high for the options given.

The price is aimed at about 160$.
For the basic features this plugin offers, I'd rather buy Photoshop Elements for 80$ which costs half as much and has more options.
Old April 29th, 2011, 06:08 AM

Aperture is mac only, yes.

BTW: Aperture already has some adjustment layer functionality built-in. It just does not call it layers, but it works just the same for brushing adjustments in or out. I don't quite see the point of this software for Aperture users.
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:26 PM

A lot of product and wedding photographers know what they need and are pretty good at getting things close to right in the shot. A lot use Lightroom as it is excellent in in DAM, Data Asset Management. The incremental cost of the the new layers plugin is not great. It does allow blending of layers which could be helpful for artistic effects.

The cost should be more like about $65 to to really sell like hotcakes!

Asher

Old May 1st, 2011, 12:03 PM

With PSE 9 you can do real layer masks now so at $160 Perfect Layers is worthless