Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Landscape - Travel

Old November 25th, 2011, 02:09 AM

Default Bleak Autumn

At the start of last summer I started a project. From what I could find there had not been many photos taken of where I live for perhaps a hundred years or more. If I looked on the internet most photos were there in the form of post cards on a site that sells post cards. So, I set off with the idea to photograph the area, the town initially but it expanded to a project called 'Une Ville, Un Canton' which is ongoing.

Yesterday I went out to do some autumn photos but, alas, the rich autumn colours here are few and far between, gold, yellow, brown, orange, not a lot to be seen so I went for the 'bleak' look.

I doubt that on seeing these images anywould would say 'ooh, I want to live there' but I find a certain charm in how bleak things look. Bizarre? But then who would take a photo of a car wash to show 'autumn'? So works of art, no. A personnal view of my town, yes.

The beginnings of the autumn photos are here.
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:33 AM

That last one would make a georgous B&W, it's so stark and thought provoking.
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:55 AM

Quick conversion with the last one;

Done a few more today, it was cold out! I think bleak might be an understatement!

Damp, cold, horrible!

Define Bleak?
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:46 AM

Do you specifically go for this very washed out, flat and low contrast kind of post processing? Seems to run through all of your work.
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:59 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
Do you specifically go for this very washed out, flat and low contrast kind of post processing? Seems to run through all of your work.
Hi Ben,

Divisions of "seeing" or "truth" in Photography, Michael Stones touched on previously "Factive v. Fictive" photography here. It's worth re-reading.

Re-read this thread, you will see the rest of this family of images with the same dull appearance. That's how it often is in real life unless things are painted or the light is magic.

I wanted here to spend time and attention on the leaves and enhance each and every one one of them. But notice how that's not a need for Hélène.

Certainly, for the other thread on the massacres in the villages by the Nazis, the presentation of her pictures is apt. Here, the title is "Grim" so the same feelings.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.

Last edited by Asher Kelman; November 29th, 2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hélène Anderson View Post

Damp, cold, horrible!
This one defines it best for me - I can almost feel the cold. Then there is the lack of bright light, the diffuse mood...

Best regards,
Michael
Old November 29th, 2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
If that is how it is on the day then that is how I try and keep it in the image. I do have images taken in the summer, sports events, more punch, more pop in the image. It's just that at the moment here it is really like it is in the photos, as near as I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Nagel View Post
This one defines it best for me - I can almost feel the cold. Then there is the lack of bright light, the diffuse mood...

Best regards,
Michael
Thank you. And it was cold that day, and damp, horrible.
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:

Since I know that part of France, I can confirm that this look is exactly what it looks like at this time of the year...

(BTW: I still only see part of your pictures. Photobucket often times out on my otherwise functioning connection.)
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
(BTW: I still only see part of your pictures. Photobucket often times out on my otherwise functioning connection.)
Oups, sorry, don't know what to suggest.

If it makes any difference the link for the albums is here.
Old November 30th, 2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Done a few more today, it was cold out! I think bleak might be an understatement!

Damp, cold, horrible!
Lovely atmospheric capture. Indeed I can feel the damp, cold and be miserable in that weather.

Lovely.