Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Landscape - Travel

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:14 PM

Default Places of worship.

In the far east, you will find little places of worship like this one almost everywhere. I have been told that they are spirit houses: when one builds a house, the local spirits are displaced. In order not to make them angry, the custom is to build a little house for them next to the main building. That little house is made especially attractive with offerings and bright colors.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:26 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
In the far east, you will find little places of worship like this one almost everywhere. I have been told that they are spirit houses: when one builds a house, the local spirits are displaced. In order not to make them angry, the custom is to build a little house for them next to the main building. That little house is made especially attractive with offerings and bright colors.

Excellent observations and picture, Jerome. Man realizes our small place in the universe!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:31 AM

It is not really "observation", this kind of little things are found along the street.

For example, next to that little spirit house, I saw this:

The tree is obviously not a banana tree, I have no idea why the fruits were attached to it.
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I....The tree is obviously not a banana tree, I have no idea why the fruits were attached to it.
Obviously not, bananas don't grow on trees. :)
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:52 AM

Botanically speaking, you are right, as banana plants are not really "trees". But they are usually considered as such because of their size.
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Botanically speaking, you are right, as banana plants are not really "trees". But they are usually considered as such because of their size.
I knew you knew ;)
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:59 AM

Good. Now that we have exhausted the subject of bananas, let's go back to places of worship:

Old February 4th, 2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
.man realizes our small place in the universe!

Asher
Just curious, how so?
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Good. Now that we have exhausted the subject of bananas, let's go back to places of worship:...
Lead the way. Lovely pictures Jerome.
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
Obviously not, bananas don't grow on trees. :)
You're mistaken! I just checked with my 4 year old grandson and he is sure of it!

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
Just curious, how so?
That, my good friend Cem, is an evening's chat with good wine. We'll have to arrange for that.

Asher

Old February 4th, 2012, 12:46 PM

The website backup has been requested. So I am still kicking!!

I have always maintained that to get to know a place, one must get to know the people.

To get to know the people, one must get to know what it is that they hold dear.

Faith? Money? whatever. Know that and, for me at least, my photography has been more productive.

Jerome, these are two very different images you show us of different beliefs. I particularly like

the picture inside the church. The color and the contrast add significantly to the main subject.

Thanks for sharing.

Edit: My good wife has asked me to remove a sentence. Might be misunderstood, she says.
Old February 4th, 2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
I particularly like the picture inside the church. The color and the contrast add significantly to the main subject.
I am glad you like the picture, but this is not a church but a taoist temple. Facing the priest, you see Kwan Yin, Goddess of Mercy.
Old February 6th, 2012, 01:31 AM

On the first picture, you may have notice the offering of incense sticks. Normally, the offerings are made in bundle of three, as shown here (same temple):

From the shape of these offerings comes the belief that planting your chopsticks in your bowl of rice is very rude. The reason is that the chopstick standing out the bowl would look like an incense offering and these are usually offered to the deceased. In summary: if you do that at someone's place, you are wishing their death.
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I am glad you like the picture, but this is not a church but a taoist temple. Facing the priest, you see Kwan Yin, Goddess of Mercy.

Thank you, for correcting me. My apologies to anyone I might have offended due to my ignorance.

Regards.
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:27 PM

No offense taken.

In the next picture, you'll see people lighting incense sticks for the offering:

This will be the last picture from that particular city, but I have others taken in different places of worship if there is interest.