Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Wildlife

Wildlife Any creature of the wild: in the air, sea, on safari or your backyard!.

Old April 24th, 2012, 07:03 PM

Default Water Angel

Thanks for taking a look !

A little comp rule bending in this one.
Hi Asher !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

http://dwayne-oakes.artistwebsites.com/
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:16 PM

An interesting image Dwayne! I do like a creative, 'break-the-rules' approach in life, as well as photography, so this photo does appeal to me.

I do find the vertical reflections a bit of a distraction, which could be addressed in Photoshop, although I'm not sure how successful it would be.

Thanks for posting. I'll be interested in how others perceive this image.

DLC Photography
Old April 25th, 2012, 05:46 AM

Hi Dwayne,

This works very well for me, and I really like it. Sometimes the lack of a strict classical composition can feel forced and obvious, but it seems very natural here.

My initial reaction was to perhaps even out the tonality across the image, but I actually like the subtle variation. I do find one or two of the reeds (I think) unncessarily distracting and might try a version with them toned down.

But this is picking nits, and I think it's excellent as is. I think this would make a very strong large print.

John
Old April 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=Dwayne Oakes;128606]Thanks for taking a look !

Hi Asher !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

[/QUO?..................
Old April 29th, 2012, 07:17 PM

Many thanks for the comments ! I think it is good to break the
rules and norm in the craft once and while.

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

Old April 29th, 2012, 11:40 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Picture that follows is perhaps NSFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Oakes View Post
Thanks for taking a look !

Hi Asher !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

Dwayne Oakes: Water Angel

First I have to see this picture presented with white space. On one side of the page with the bird there too, it's unreadable to me.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 29th, 2012, 11:55 PM

Well, Dwayne,

I admit I felt ignorant and wondered whether or not the bird was indeed a "Water Angel". However, I'm no further along I'm my education. What I did find was this:

This is also said to be a water angel. Since it's by a guy with a name, Jaroslav Wieczorkiewicz', for sure he must be right. Besides, this was shown on Strobist, just November 2011. Maybe she spends spring flying over lakes!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:04 AM

now i can see the work, I wonder whether it might be better balanced by bringing out the white marks over the water. Otherwise the bird at the edge is disturbing to me. With enough balancing white marks, I could find this more peaceful. But it's not like that, so I must admit, this is fascinating but not restful.

Asher

Old April 30th, 2012, 12:04 AM

Dwayne,

Now i can see the work, I wonder whether it might be better balanced by bringing out the white marks over the water. Otherwise the bird at the edge is disturbing to me. With enough balancing white marks, I could find this more peaceful. But it's not like that, so I must admit, this is fascinating but not restful.

Asher

Old April 30th, 2012, 03:48 AM

Hi Dwayne.
I don't often stop in an add my 2 cents worth on a photo but I've been staring at this one for some time now and listening to the funny little voice in my head.
Without commenting on any technical or compositional aspects, of which either are outside my expertice, I took it upon myself to look at it purely as a viewer and determine what it can offer me.
As a descriptive or explanitory image it has little to offer. This isn't a bad thing. Many photographs we take are purely descriptive or explanatory but just as many are not. There's a bird of unknown type flying in from top left over what appears to be water. Its daylight judging by the reflection. Any other feature is indeterminable.
As for any interpretive aspects, there is nothing to indicate a need to seek any ethical premise for the photo such as capturing a rare and endangered bird or some feature of the water that needs our attention.
That leaves me with the aesthetic interpretation. Being a personal as well as a pychosocial interpretation ther e are few features here which hold me spellbound for more than a few seconds, most of which are focussed on finding the subject matter and getting it in focus.
If I tell myself it is an abstraction I might convince myself that it has some credibility, but even an abtraction has the need for some grounding in reality.
But like any photograph, this shot does have value, as do all photos in as much as it will possibly draw conversations about rule breaking. This, in itself, may make for interesting discussion but doesn't necessarily make the image interesting past this.
Now I have barracaded myself in my room and prepared myself for the onslaught of indignation but I assume you are a grown-up and can take the good with the .... erh.... less good.
Cheers
Tom

http://notesfromthecamera.blogspot.com.au/
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:31 AM

Thank you very much for the comments everyone ! Very cool photo Asher !
Great cc Tom ! Thanks

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

Old April 30th, 2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
Hi Dwayne.
I don't often stop in an add my 2 cents worth on a photo but I've been staring at this one for some time now and listening to the funny little voice in my head.
Without commenting on any technical or compositional aspects, of which either are outside my expertice, I took it upon myself to look at it purely as a viewer and determine what it can offer me.
As a descriptive or explanitory image it has little to offer. This isn't a bad thing. Many photographs we take are purely descriptive or explanatory but just as many are not. There's a bird of unknown type flying in from top left over what appears to be water. Its daylight judging by the reflection. Any other feature is indeterminable.
As for any interpretive aspects, there is nothing to indicate a need to seek any ethical premise for the photo such as capturing a rare and endangered bird or some feature of the water that needs our attention.
That leaves me with the aesthetic interpretation. Being a personal as well as a pychosocial interpretation ther e are few features here which hold me spellbound for more than a few seconds, most of which are focussed on finding the subject matter and getting it in focus.
If I tell myself it is an abstraction I might convince myself that it has some credibility, but even an abtraction has the need for some grounding in reality.
But like any photograph, this shot does have value, as do all photos in as much as it will possibly draw conversations about rule breaking. This, in itself, may make for interesting discussion but doesn't necessarily make the image interesting past this.
Now I have barracaded myself in my room and prepared myself for the onslaught of indignation but I assume you are a grown-up and can take the good with the .... erh.... less good.
Cheers
Tom
Tom,

Be confused no longer!!

The purpose of Dwayne's photograph was to expose the odd fact that there's at least one strange fellow from down under who's both erudite and understands why we might share our photographs.

Asher

Old April 30th, 2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Tom,

Be confused no longer!!

The purpose of Dwayne's photograph was to expose the odd fact that there's at least one strange fellow from down under who's both erudite and understands why we might share our photographs.

Asher
Now that explains it.
I must seek you out, Dwayne, so we can talk nonsense all day.
What has 4 legs and an IQ of 10?
2 Aussies shaking hands.

Cheers
Tom

Sorry, Dwayne, I checked your profile and it seems you come from Canada, just in case you are not aware. I've heard about you Canadians. Much like us Aussies; laid back, easy going, friendly and somewhat apologetic about being who you are. I'll accept you as an Aussie stand-in if you visit.

http://notesfromthecamera.blogspot.com.au/