Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Riskit!

Riskit! Explore new areas. Critique will be tough love!

Old April 28th, 2012, 08:35 PM

Default Street Portraits, a Developing Personal Collection

Last edited by Asher Kelman; April 29th, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:47 PM

Default Another Street Portrait

Here's one more:

Doug Anderson: Another Street Portrait

Enjoy,

Doug

Last edited by Asher Kelman; April 30th, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old April 29th, 2012, 07:53 AM

I shoot street but never take candid portraits of strangers. This one makes me want to give it a try. It strikes me as just about perfect. The face, eyes, expression, pose, color, composition -- everything comes together. Thanks for sharing it.

John
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:29 AM

Hi Doug,

Compared to your second posting, this one is pleasant but really doesn't do much for me. I think it's because there's not as much character showing. And, unlike the other, the setting here doesn't contribute anything. In fact it detracts.

I see from your tag line that you're an HCB fan. His environmental portraits are about as good as it gets, in my view. Even in assignment shoots, he might spend an afternoon with the subject, but take only two or three photos, always waiting for the decisive moment, both visually and emotionally.

Contrasting your two photos makes me realize how much everything must come together and contribute in order to make a superb candid portrait. Thanks for the thought-provoking pairing.

John

Last edited by Asher Kelman; April 30th, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old April 30th, 2012, 05:58 PM

Default Boxcar

Boxcar says, "Two things about me: I never told a lie and I'm a virgin."

Doug Anderson: Boxcar

Last edited by Asher Kelman; May 1st, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:51 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Doug,

I really applaud the idea of you seeking out interesting folk to photograph, like this. What lens do you use? IOW, are you reaching across a street with a long lens or is this casual snapping as you pass, pausing just for a moment? do you make eye contact before or afterwards or just continue on?

I was surprised when the fashion photographer teacher, Frank Dorhoof was unable to get himself to shoot strangers on the streets of Beverly Hills, when he visited a little while back. Apparently, in some european countries this is not considered good manners.

Fahim, OTOH, tells me that he usually has made some friendly contact with the folk before getting the picture with there consent and perhaps, enthusiasm too.

So, obviously, there are a lot of variations in photographer-subject vibrations going on in street photography.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
What lens do you use?
The exifs tell a 50mm f/1.8 on a Nikon D300.
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
The exifs tell a 50mm f/1.8 on a Nikon D300.

Jerome,

That would suggest a closer distance to the subjects and therefore, perhaps, display of more social candor in the making of the pictures than than the craft of candid photography.

I wonder whether this was the case.

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:39 AM

I try to engage people who I think might be otherwise difficult. This guy turned out to be very funny and open.

I was using a Sigma 24-70 and would have preferred to have my 50mm mounted for the occasion. Also, I've been advised that I should have shot it at his level in order to avoid the perspective distortion in the door.
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug anderson View Post
Boxcar says, "Two things about me: I never told a lie and I'm a virgin."

Doug Anderson: Boxcar

Quote:
I try to engage people who I think might be otherwise difficult. This guy turned out to be very funny and open.

Doug,

The other alternative is to use a longer lens.

Quote:
............... Also, I've been advised that I should have shot it at his level in order to avoid the perspective distortion in the door.

The odd angles fit in with the character of the fellow. I'd be more interested to know how you might like the effect of more limited DOF, using a wide aperture. This fellow is likely to be a regular at that particular location. So perhaps you can go back and experiment.

Asher

Old May 11th, 2012, 06:04 AM

I super like all of them
and you have captured the character of each individual!

Charlotte-