Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old September 3rd, 2012, 04:51 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Thumbs up Earthquake broke my pot!

Woken up by massive shaking of house, alarm went off ran up grabbed kids from beds. All O.K. Just a 3.3!

We appreciate everything a little more!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:59 AM
pro member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Woken up by massive shaking of house, alarm went off ran up grabbed kids from beds. All O.K. Just a 3.3!

We appreciate everything a little more!
Hi Asher,

Good to hear that everybody is okay. Nature's forces are impossible to control, so damage control is the best we can do, a humbling experience.

Cheers,
Bart
Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_van_der_Wolf View Post
Hi Asher,

Good to hear that everybody is okay. Nature's forces are impossible to control, so damage control is the best we can do, a humbling experience.

Cheers,
Bart
Thanks Bart!

The 2 year old said, the house went bang and my bed moved and the alarm went off but there were no bad guys. So they all bundled in our bed and I slept on the couch! amazingly, only one earthenware pot was thrown to the ground and smashed. I photographed it under my flashlight, of course!

So, the kids experienced their first earthquakes! Now I'll have to explain tectonics or better not or they'll be scared the planet can split in half.

I explained to the 2 year old it's just like you brother going "BRPrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhpop!". That's what the ground does sometimes!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:28 AM

13:03 am this morning another earthquake. No damage discovered yet as I haven't looked around yet! "

LA Times Reports: "A shallow magnitude 3.4 earthquake was reported Friday morning near Beverly Hills, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The temblor occurred at 12:03 a.m. Pacific time. According to the USGS, the epicenter was a mile from Century City, two miles from West Hollywood, nine miles from Inglewood and nine miles from the Los Angeles Civic Center."

Just a reminder from mother nature that we're just visitors!

Asher

Old September 9th, 2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
13:03 am this morning another earthquake. No damage discovered yet as I haven't looked around yet! "

LA Times Reports: "A shallow magnitude 3.4 earthquake was reported Friday morning near Beverly Hills, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The temblor occurred at 12:03 a.m. Pacific time. According to the USGS, the epicenter was a mile from Century City, two miles from West Hollywood, nine miles from Inglewood and nine miles from the Los Angeles Civic Center."

Just a reminder from mother nature that we're just visitors!

Asher
asher - is there not a big one due around your area?
Old September 9th, 2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hampton View Post
asher - is there not a big one due around your area?
Always, Mark!

That's the point! One never nows when one will be trying to climb out of rubble or facing a Tsuanmi. I never imagined that the city of Beverly hills would permit earthquakes in it's jurisdiction!

Asher

Old September 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Always, Mark!

That's the point! One never nows when one will be trying to climb out of rubble or facing a Tsuanmi. I never imagined that the city of Beverly hills would permit earthquakes in it's jurisdiction!

Asher
Lol..... that's a good reason to live in scotland
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hampton View Post
Lol..... that's a good reason to live in scotland
Don't be so sure! From Wikipedia, it seems there was a 3.5 magnitude quake 23 January 2011 Glenuig, Highland. It was felt across the Western Highlands including in Inverness, Skye and Oban.

Still, unless one has mud homes or poorly built Cathedrals, no big damage is likely.

Asher