Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 3rd, 2012, 04:51 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is online now
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 32,777
Thumbs up Earthquake broke my pot!

Woken up by massive shaking of house, alarm went off ran up grabbed kids from beds. All O.K. Just a 3.3!


We appreciate everything a little more!

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:59 AM
Bart_van_der_Wolf Bart_van_der_Wolf is offline
pro member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Woken up by massive shaking of house, alarm went off ran up grabbed kids from beds. All O.K. Just a 3.3!


We appreciate everything a little more!
Hi Asher,

Good to hear that everybody is okay. Nature's forces are impossible to control, so damage control is the best we can do, a humbling experience.

Cheers,
Bart
__________________
If you do what you did, you'll get what you got.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:31 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is online now
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 32,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_van_der_Wolf View Post
Hi Asher,

Good to hear that everybody is okay. Nature's forces are impossible to control, so damage control is the best we can do, a humbling experience.

Cheers,
Bart
Thanks Bart!

The 2 year old said, the house went bang and my bed moved and the alarm went off but there were no bad guys. So they all bundled in our bed and I slept on the couch! amazingly, only one earthenware pot was thrown to the ground and smashed. I photographed it under my flashlight, of course!

So, the kids experienced their first earthquakes! Now I'll have to explain tectonics or better not or they'll be scared the planet can split in half.

I explained to the 2 year old it's just like you brother going "BRPrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhpop!". That's what the ground does sometimes!

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:28 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is online now
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 32,777
Default

13:03 am this morning another earthquake. No damage discovered yet as I haven't looked around yet! "


LA Times Reports: "A shallow magnitude 3.4 earthquake was reported Friday morning near Beverly Hills, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The temblor occurred at 12:03 a.m. Pacific time. According to the USGS, the epicenter was a mile from Century City, two miles from West Hollywood, nine miles from Inglewood and nine miles from the Los Angeles Civic Center."

Just a reminder from mother nature that we're just visitors!

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 9th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Mark Hampton Mark Hampton is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
13:03 am this morning another earthquake. No damage discovered yet as I haven't looked around yet! "


LA Times Reports: "A shallow magnitude 3.4 earthquake was reported Friday morning near Beverly Hills, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The temblor occurred at 12:03 a.m. Pacific time. According to the USGS, the epicenter was a mile from Century City, two miles from West Hollywood, nine miles from Inglewood and nine miles from the Los Angeles Civic Center."

Just a reminder from mother nature that we're just visitors!

Asher
asher - is there not a big one due around your area?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 9th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is online now
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 32,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hampton View Post
asher - is there not a big one due around your area?
Always, Mark!

That's the point! One never nows when one will be trying to climb out of rubble or facing a Tsuanmi. I never imagined that the city of Beverly hills would permit earthquakes in it's jurisdiction!

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Mark Hampton Mark Hampton is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Always, Mark!

That's the point! One never nows when one will be trying to climb out of rubble or facing a Tsuanmi. I never imagined that the city of Beverly hills would permit earthquakes in it's jurisdiction!

Asher
Lol..... that's a good reason to live in scotland
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is online now
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 32,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hampton View Post
Lol..... that's a good reason to live in scotland
Don't be so sure! From Wikipedia, it seems there was a 3.5 magnitude quake 23 January 2011 Glenuig, Highland. It was felt across the Western Highlands including in Inverness, Skye and Oban.

Still, unless one has mud homes or poorly built Cathedrals, no big damage is likely.

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature and Man: Hazards, Earthquake & Nuclear energy! Asher Kelman Photography of Strife, Disaster, Rescue and Hope: empathy, yes, but no propaganda! 147 November 25th, 2013 04:19 PM
News: Massive Earthquake Strikes Chile! Asher Kelman Breaking News 1 February 27th, 2010 01:26 AM
Earthquake! Devastation in Port au Prince, Haiti Asher Kelman Photography of Strife, Disaster, Rescue and Hope: empathy, yes, but no propaganda! 13 January 18th, 2010 03:35 PM
L.A. Earthquake! 11.42 am! Asher Kelman Layback Cafe 20 July 30th, 2008 04:47 PM
Camera broke... very depressed...sigh Louis Doench Layback Cafe 2 October 18th, 2007 11:33 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!