Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Image Processing and Workflow

Image Processing and Workflow RAW, DNG , TIFF and JPG. From Capture to Ready for Publish/Display. All software and techniques used within an image workflow, (except extensive retouching and repair or DAM).

Old November 6th, 2013, 09:14 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Process a DNG file according to your best design!

Here's a file to try your processing and presentation skills on. Imagine that this is a long forgotten file of your own that your realize by the ID number, that you must have taken it, but the circumstances escape your memory! If you don't like it, don't work on. Just discard as you would the many we reject after a shoot. If you like it enough, show us how you'd use this to make as impressive an image you can. If you have some idea or special mood or situation you are creating, you can let us know. Just be prepared to share your workflow, if requested, so I can explore your way of looking at the file.

Feel free to use the editing workflow and final processing and edits, as your usual custom in your own work and I have no objection to edits such as cropping, cleaning up distractions and the like, that you'd be comfortable doing on your own pictures.

The only limitation is that the end result is posted only here and the original .DNG file is deleted from your computer.

Download the file # 1 here

So here's the file as you might process it in color:

and then processed using Nik Analog Wet Plate filter to show I don't mind how far you go!

If you send me your email, I'll send it to you directly. It's about 10MB.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old November 6th, 2013, 10:27 PM

Hightail says it is a restricted file and you have to resend it.
Old November 6th, 2013, 10:46 PM

Is there no way to get this without becoming a member of Hightail? Seems like every time I want to comment on someone's portfolio, get a shared file etc., I have to sign up. I am not on Facebook or Yahoo either which are other places I could register for to get this file.

:-P
Maggie
Old November 6th, 2013, 11:39 PM

Files sent to Maggie and Chris. Anyone else, just ask by PM and I'll send it by dropbox directly!

Thanks,

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old November 7th, 2013, 07:29 AM

Children of the Pampas: Chris Calohan
Old November 7th, 2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Calohan View Post

Children of the Pampas: Chris Calohan
What fun! When I read the title, I laughed and was glad I wasn't having coffee. Fun interpretation!
Old November 7th, 2013, 09:29 AM

Thanks, Maggie...as soon as I saw the image, the image of Children of the Corn came to mind. I did all the normal corrective measures and 80 zillion crops but in the end everything was pretty much mundane and that's when the crazy cells in my brain started a whirlin' and a twirln'. Geeze, folks, I've go to get a life...;-)
Old November 7th, 2013, 09:33 AM

I feel a bit embarrassed as I did not see Asher's interpretation until just a moment ago, well after I posted my own interpretation. I promise you I did not copy your image though I used the same Nik wetplate plug-in. Perhaps it is great minds thinking alike or perhaps it is just one of those things...you know **** happens.
Old November 7th, 2013, 02:58 PM

I have no idea why I went this route - - - but the image just kept developing and developing.

After processing the DNG to come to a perfectly balanced image with the RAW converter in Photoshop CS6 - - - I then just started applying curves adjustment layers to different parts as well as a TILT SHIFT BLUR layer - - - and then when I had the image just the way I liked it, I destroyed it by adding a HUE/Saturation adjustment to a duplicate layer and cranking the settings, then just some overall curves and gaussian blur adjustments. It is what it is - no presets or fancy filters used :).

Old November 7th, 2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Calohan View Post
Thanks, Maggie...as soon as I saw the image, the image of Children of the Corn came to mind. I did all the normal corrective measures and 80 zillion crops but in the end everything was pretty much mundane and that's when the crazy cells in my brain started a whirlin' and a twirln'. Geeze, folks, I've go to get a life...;-)
Ha, no, I think it's a lot of fun and I think playing and creating is good for our health. I went and played too, so get the whirlin' and twirln's brain cell activity! :-D
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Watcher View Post
I have no idea why I went this route - - - but the image just kept developing and developing.

After processing the DNG to come to a perfectly balanced image with the RAW converter in Photoshop CS6 - - - I then just started applying curves adjustment layers to different parts as well as a TILT SHIFT BLUR layer - - - and then when I had the image just the way I liked it, I destroyed it by adding a HUE/Saturation adjustment to a duplicate layer and cranking the settings, then just some overall curves and gaussian blur adjustments. It is what it is - no presets or fancy filters used :).

the wine and cyan go so well together! Very cool!
Old November 7th, 2013, 05:10 PM

I also had a bit of a play; a good break from what I was doing.

For some reason, her coat made me think of snow and then I thought how cool it would be to be at night, but she'd need light, so I gave her a lantern and then thought it would be too scary to be out with only the lantern, so those high branches would have tiny glittery lights to help her find her way through. Like Chris, my brain just had fun playing and not worrying too much if it really made any sense. I actually had a lot of fun.

lantern is from one of my own images - glitter is just a brush I made in ps.

procedure available is requested.
:-)
Old November 8th, 2013, 12:49 AM

and another :

Old November 8th, 2013, 05:43 AM

Like all these. I like her holding the lantern. Good idea.
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:51 AM

Not particularly pleased with my effort. The range has been compressed. Her jacket is lighter and shadows are lighter in the greenery. The colors are more vivid and there should be a bit more variation in the color in the background greenery. After I created my initial version, I wasn't happy with it. So I ended up blending my version and the initial color corrected version, each at 50% contribution. At the end of the day, my version isn't wildly different from the original.

Old November 8th, 2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Stecyk View Post
Not particularly pleased with my effort. The range has been compressed. Her jacket is lighter and shadows are lighter in the greenery. The colors are more vivid and there should be a bit more variation in the color in the background greenery. After I created my initial version, I wasn't happy with it. So I ended up blending my version and the initial color corrected version, each at 50% contribution. At the end of the day, my version isn't wildly different from the original.

Kevin,

Thanks for putting in so much effort. The issue you might be struggling with is the lens itself, evenly making everything equally important. Also there are not of signals as to depth of different parts of the b.g. so one approach is to select portions to be sharpest and sharper than the very back of the image. A lens that provides a beautiful "bokeh" does this for you on a grand scale, but the effect is different.

Asher