Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Image Processing and Workflow

Image Processing and Workflow RAW, DNG , TIFF and JPG. From Capture to Ready for Publish/Display. All software and techniques used within an image workflow, (except extensive retouching and repair or DAM).

Old May 4th, 2014, 01:18 PM

Default rich vignetting filter?

Hi,

as in subject- anyone knows any nice and affordable rich vignetting filter sharp pinhole effect center for colour weddings shots?
Maternity Photography
Old May 4th, 2014, 01:30 PM

Please specify the kind of effect you want to achieve.
Old May 4th, 2014, 02:06 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Anna,

You might want to also post a picture for us to work with until you see the effect you like. I'll PM you with details, just in case!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 5th, 2014, 07:00 AM

Great, I need a sharp Pinhole effect centre and slighly blurred edges especially in outdoor shots. I will post smth soon
Thx
Maternity Photography
Old May 5th, 2014, 07:04 AM

Hi Jerome,
I think of a gentle touch. I tried with imagenomic photoshop plug-in but couldn't find anything. Sligthly blurred vignette edges + crisp centre but not thacky. 80mm ,f1.8 + pinhole camera shot. If I am making myself clear at least in 1% that is what I mean.

Thanks.
Maternity Photography
Old May 5th, 2014, 07:08 AM

and one more imoprtant thing I am not a Lightroom user:)
Maternity Photography
Old May 5th, 2014, 08:09 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

....and photoshop?

There are some filters which can be used with Aperture or iphoto. So what are you using?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 5th, 2014, 08:33 AM

Default jim galli homemade soft focus lens

I wonder How to achieve the same effect as Jim Galli with his soft focus lens form medium format cameras in digital photography portrait.
Maternity Photography
Old May 5th, 2014, 08:59 AM

What you are looking for is called a vignette blur.

Nik software color efex pro filter collection has a vignette blur that is easy to adjust. Or, if you have CS6, you can do the same with this tutorial.

Alternatively, there are probably a few hundred free photoshop actions to give a pinhole effet or a vignette blur. For example, here. Since they normally use a fixed mask to control the extent of the sharp center, they are usually more difficult to adjust. The trick would then be to make a few masks yourself.

The classical way of obtaining this effect is to use a clear filter in front of the lens and smear vaseline on its edges.
Old May 5th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Banned

Vignetting should only be applied while wearing socks and sandals and listening to Frank Sinatra singing anything at all.
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:24 AM
pro member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Nowakowska View Post
I wonder How to achieve the same effect as Jim Galli with his soft focus lens form medium format cameras in digital photography portrait.
Hi Anna,

It sounds like you are looking for not just a vignetted blur, but also certain characteristics of specific lens rendering. Topaz Labs have a specific plug-in for that, called Lens Effects. It not only allows to choose from a number of presets to get quickly started, it also allows to tweak, create, and save your own presets. That allows a very fast workflow if you want to create multiple images with a similar (your) look.

Topaz Labs usually have discount coupons for the attendees to their Webinars, so check that out if you want to purchase anything. Their upgrades so far have all been free for existing users, also for new enhanced versions, so the investment over time becomes even lower than the already reasonable prices suggest.

Cheers,
Bart