Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Medium Format & Large Format Cameras > Shooting with a Pentax 645 Z MF camera

Shooting with a Pentax 645 Z MF camera Another experience with the Ricoh Pentax MF 51 Mpix flagship

Old November 26th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Default The CNB 95 Grand Bleu Vintage - Making of

The CNB 95 Grand Bleu Vintage - Making of

Some time ago I did post here some images of the CNB 95 Grand Bleu Vintage, a 95 feet sailing yacht shot in the med, near Cannes.

Here you can watch the video making of…
Come in with me in the helicopter!

If you like rock music, pump-up the volume ; )

Tease: Tomorrow will be another day…
Old November 27th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Wow!
18 views and not a single comment? I'm impressed!

Maybe this video making of of a photo shoot of a 52 feet catamaran by Lagoon will free-up your keyboard?

Here
Old November 27th, 2015, 02:16 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Nicolas, hold on! It's Thanksgiving and the Bordeaux is still flowing the day afterwards!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old November 27th, 2015, 02:28 PM

How on earth does one get up the mast of the boat! I want to know!

Seems very risky and brave. Do you have a harness and are you winched up - or is this Romain up there, scaring me?

How high was that?

BTW, how often doe the company use a dark blue for the paint on the side of the vessel? Is that acrylic or fiberglass over wood, or what? It has a wonderful contrast with the varnished clear woof of the deck!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old November 28th, 2015, 07:01 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
How on earth does one get up the mast of the boat! I want to know!

Seems very risky and brave. Do you have a harness and are you winched up - or is this Romain up there, scaring me?

How high was that?

BTW, how often doe the company use a dark blue for the paint on the side of the vessel? Is that acrylic or fiberglass over wood, or what? It has a wonderful contrast with the varnished clear woof of the deck!

Asher
Ok Asher
I hope that the Bordeaux was fine!

I've been winched to get up on the mast! And Yes I have a harness that could be seen i n the video.
Long time ago I used to be winched till the top, even at sea when a repair was necessary…
Here the boat is anchored and movements are slow… However it's better to have to camera bodies (a 645 Z and a D) with two different lens mounted so one doesn't have to change lens while being up there.
Heigth? I do not know, but I guess about 40 feet…

This dark blue hull is made of aluminum, painted with a glossy blue laquer.
BTW the teak deck is NEVER varnished! that would be too slippy!
Old November 28th, 2015, 10:34 AM

I guess you are used to the harness by now from the 'copter!

Still it's brave, like the scary zip line one flies above the trees in a harness. I have total faith in the physics, but the platform, having no sides, and prior to being linked up, is scary as there is no wall in front!

I like the blue hull. That is very handsome. So how is the teak finished. Is it just bare or does it have a matt laquer to protect it from the water?

And the Bordeaux wines, beaux, of course!

Asher

Old November 29th, 2015, 12:12 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Well, the harness is a part of my life… even while being onboard sometime when the sea is real rough… Like during the Sydney Hobart race I shot in video on board the beautiful 145 feet ketch Mari-Cha III…
Here

The teak is kept natural, it's one of the rare woods that tolerate sea water and does not get moldy by water… in fact, it the planks are yellow/brown when brand new, but with the sun and salt they become a very nice looking light grey color…
Also after some months the surface becomes a bit grainy and that's a very good natural anti-slip!

Be careful with Bordeaux wine, you may become (if not already!) addicted! :)
Old November 29th, 2015, 12:52 AM

Thanks for the info on teak properties! This is such good info! Perhaps I will use it for the deck of my boat sculpture!

Asher

Old November 29th, 2015, 10:29 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Soon available the book of photos on the CNB 95 Grand Bleu Vintage, available at Blurb:
Hard cover - 8'×10' - 20×25 cm - 84 Pages
A nice gift for Christmas!
Old November 30th, 2015, 12:04 AM

Hi Nicolas, I enjoyed the video.
I was interested to see that your method seems very straightforward, good equipment, great technical skills then just getting the best vantage points and applying your creative skills in terms of framing, timing, use of light.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.
Old November 30th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Thank you Andy!

I guess I'm a straightforward guy…