Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Asher Kelman's Public and Private Art

Asher Kelman's Public and Private Art Yes I photograph for many reasons. Much of my work has been with public charities to pay back for the opportunities given to me all my life. This year I'm going public with Photography shows and sculptures submitted for folk to enjoy in city gardens and parks. So let me share with you what I do!

Old November 18th, 2017, 06:51 PM

Well somewhere above a poster commented on the elements that would be tacked onto the sheet of steel spiraling around the three colored vertical sheets. The suggestion to remove them from the project is probably a good one. I remember years ago I temporarily replaced a professor who went on sabbatical. His project was to construct a very large sculpture for the campus that consisted of three freeform artist pallet shaped platforms mounted one above the other on steel poles. On each level, connected by a staircase he was going to place potted cactus. He described the proposal as an "Environmental Sculpture". But that was back in 1970 when the concept of "environmental" wasn't terribly clear.
Old November 18th, 2017, 07:32 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dexter View Post
Well somewhere above a poster commented on the elements that would be tacked onto the sheet of steel spiraling around the three colored vertical sheets. The suggestion to remove them from the project is probably a good one. I remember years ago I temporarily replaced a professor who went on sabbatical. His project was to construct a very large sculpture for the campus that consisted of three freeform artist pallet shaped platforms mounted one above the other on steel poles. On each level, connected by a staircase he was going to place potted cactus. He described the proposal as an "Environmental Sculpture". But that was back in 1970 when the concept of "environmental" wasn't terribly clear.
Interesting story, Peter! Was his project ever completed?

In my plan, the central "colored pieces of metal" are actually giant plastic tubes in which a man can climb up and down inside to swop out any burned out lights!

Asher Kelman: In homage: Battlefields

England Airpark, Louisianna
planned to be 60 ft high, steel ribbon would be 3 ft wide, Mirror Polished,
Battlefields will have actual remnants of battlefield
s

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old November 19th, 2017, 08:32 AM

No. Shortly after he went on sabbatical he broke his leg and spent the rest of the sabbatical laid up in his home. However prior to this he purchased a brand new, top of the line International pickup for the purpose of transporting the elements of the sculpture from his studio to the installation site. He had graduate students weld up a super heavy duty steel frame to support the sculpture elements which was then welded (not bolted) to the truck. The frame was so heavy duty that it nearly reached the load carrying capacity of the vehicle so that when it was done all he could throw in the back was maybe a large bag of dog food.
Old November 19th, 2017, 09:18 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Your story does reveal that public art requires a huge amount of work and planning!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.