Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old September 4th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Default high res images (astronomy)

Just a link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6975961.stm

Best wishes,

Ray
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:40 AM

Smile

I want a lucky cam, too
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Hi Michael,

Well, I think Hugin does it as well ;-)

A better link - re 'lucky' http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~optics/Lucky_Web_Site/index.htm
which was linked from the previous ref. has some nice animated gifs

Best wishes,

Ray
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:58 PM

WOW… I can´t wait for them to upload a modified Lucky cam in to the Hubble space telescope.
The resulting images will be amazing
Old September 4th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Interesting link, it always amazes me to see the images that astronomers can produce today.

Quote:
I can´t wait for them to upload a modified Lucky cam in to the Hubble space telescope.
Interesting thought that. If Hubble's already above the haze I wonder how much difference it would make? I wonder how much 'space haze' there is!
Facebook Page
Old September 4th, 2007, 01:15 PM

I don´t know about “Space haze”. But I am sure the new chip (with its reduced electronic noise) and the new software, will make a huge difference.
Question is, why would NASA invest millions of $ in the update, when the Palomar 200inch is producing really good imagines.
Old September 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Default implications of the newer sensor technology

Just reading through one of the links it states that while the 'lucky' technology of taking very fast exposures and combining the best parts has been around since 1978 at least in idea form, it hasn't been possible until recently when sensors have been developed which can read out the data faster without adding noise.

Looks like these types of sensors will be useful for making high resolution video a reality as well as very fast frame rate cameras or more likely both in the same device.
Old September 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

These pictures are remarkable.

However, something like the same ideas, combining the occaisional good shots in a sequence of blurred images, has been used for sometime in "gating" in medical imaging, where motion artifacts are removed by using ony shots corresponding to the hearts beat sequence.

Similarly, high speed strobes, allows one to observe rotors spinning at high speed for signs of damage!

Here, however, the astronomers have to select the rare images through an irregularly changing layer of atmospheric distortion. This is much harder and a brilliant achievement!

Still, I wonder why no one thought of this before!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.