• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon 1Ds Mark III will be presented

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I have received an email from CPS France…

The awaited Canon 1Ds Mark III will be presented by Canon in their booth during the "SALON DE LA PHOTO" held in Paris from October 3 to 27 as well as the transmiter WiFi WFT-E2 and the PIXMA Pro 9500 B&W printer…

nicolas claris

Bonjour Michael

I'm gonna have one, but still don't know if I'll go to B&H (good bargain with 1.4€ for 1 US$) or have it here in Bordeaux…

I don't think I' go the Salon de la Photo, they will show it there, but I don't think they will sell at the counter…

Michael Fontana

pro member
I'm not to sure if a upgrade from the 1 Ds-2 to the Mark III is worth it. Off course, YMMV.

Somehow I think that a upgrade to MF would be a better decision, even for my taste, they' re not enough mature, yet: long exposures, flares, noise, etc.

Sometimes I need the long exposures, untill 45 secs:

redtower.jpg

nicolas claris

YMMV?

Yes MF have been part of my thinking too, I, like you, need some times long exposures, but I want to stay with the 2/3 ratio and hate the idea that my pics will be systematically cropped!

I also have a large investment in L lenses…

Even if I'm not the kind of guy to burst 5 pics/sec, I need a fast responsive body, above all when shooting boats from chase boat or helicopter…

In a perfect world I would have both, but can't afford that… (nor my clients!)

I'm definitively looking for:
more resolution (large prints)
more DR
less noise (?)
self cleaning sensor…

Pentax ? still waiting for their announcement (maybe in Paris Salon de la Photo) but I doubt I'll be able to use my Canon lenses on a Pentax body…
I'm afraid that for now, I'll have to stick with Canon, not a bad prison anyway!

Michael Fontana

pro member
YMMV = your mileage may vary.

I think, a fast responsive body is more crucial for you than me, as I'm shooting 99% from tripot.

But still, I want not go back to the havy and slow 4/5'- time, beeing much less spontaneouis, therefore todays digibacks are not really what I'm looking for.

As for more resolution, the stitching route works fine here, but I understand, that this is not a help for you.
For the bigger DR, HDR is a route to walk, but takes a bit of time, and might not be a solution for you.

How about you going for a MF, with films today, and getting the digiback, once they' re more mature?
I know, nobody likes scanning anymore, but in your situation, I'd have a second thought about that.

nicolas claris

HDR: have tried with various results… I foinf the images to be generally too flat…

The 1DS3 is supposed to have more DR even if it is not HDR…

Back to film? sorry, no I can't! I like too much the digital flexibility… and guess what? I did throw my last scanner… yesterday! (an old and bad flatbed, anyway)

Michael Fontana

pro member
Nicolas

Photomatix has - apart from other improvements - a gamma-slider since a good while; that helps a lot for popping.
But I agree; HDR isn't to easy.

>and guess what? I did throw my last scanner… yesterday! <

By, by SCSI; the power of the factum °grin°

I agree about your flexibility, that's what I like much about digi, too.
My suggestion was in short to mid--terms only, untill you find the back for your needs.

Ivan Garcia

Bonjour Michael

I'm gonna have one, but still don't know if I'll go to B&H (good bargain with 1.4€ for 1 US$) or have it here in Bordeaux…

I don't think I' go the Salon de la Photo, they will show it there, but I don't think they will sell at the counter…

Will you be going to US to buy it?.. or are you going to have it posted?
If you are going to the US... we need to tallk.

nicolas claris

Hi Ivan
I dunno yet, in fact if we compare prices in Euros:

US price B&H): 8,000$ = 5,650 € (+111$ shipping)

Best price I've found in France = 6,590 € (digit-photo.com) (I don't pay VAT)

So the difference is only 940€ for a body that will not be covered by Canon France warranty, I wonder if it's worth the saving.
But as I'll keep the Mark II as back-up (and hence be able to send the body back to the US if needed)…

I'll maybe pay (well at least a good part of the cost;-) a nice week-end in NewYork with my wife with theses 9 hundreds…

So I'm still hesitating, but anyway we'll have to wait that the machines are on the counter…

You'll have a PM within a few minutes…