Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old January 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM
pro member

Default MacBook AIR Anyone?

I think that the new MacBook wil probably be very popular, but for serious work it seams a bit limited, on the other side I would love to have one... did you see the option to have a RAM HD? that would make the computer super safe and you just come back home and download wirelessly to your 1Terra external

Last edited by Asher Kelman; January 15th, 2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Indeed it has some appealing new features such as that solid state hard disk and the sheer sexy styling and slimness of it.

But it is rather limited, having a relatively small hard disk and no Firewire ports. The external cd/dvd drive is a very old ploy (circa 1997, IBM ThinkPads and Toshiba Satellites) that did not work well then and definitely won't work well now. (No, the world won't be renting downloadable movies from Apple due to lack of a dvd drive on their little Mac.

For $200 more you can get a larger, but far ore versatile and capable, Mac Book Pro.

I don't know who the target market for this product is but it won't be of much value to photographers. To my eyes this is a relatively rare dud from Apple.
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:19 PM
pro member

I think that all the people that sit at cafes with their portables, or journalists that travel, even photojournalists that have to go super light. I have a 15 inch one and love it but it is big and heavy.

I think that this is like an iPhone only much larger. Things are getting more and more wireless and not everybody needs to have huge HDs

For me it is definitively not the one since I need FireWire since most if not all my work is tethered to that...

And dont forget also that Apple plays with the object of desire thing if this is the computer to have then people will have to have...

I want to drop by at the new MeatPacking store to see if they have one...
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:42 PM

They're playing catchup to Asus. The Asus costs peanuts, but does the job. No big deal if it gets stolen, etc. etc.

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/news11212007.htm

Or a wider viewpoint

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/cne...nt.php/3719776

Buy the tool to do the job
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:29 AM

Hi Ray,
I don't think so; the MBA is not a workhorse for photographers - to weak - nor for the children - to expensive - but a stylish labtop for impressioning during a presentation in a ad agencie, business talk, etc.
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:01 AM

No FireWire, only a glossy screen, a battery you can't replace or remove, only 2 gigs of Ram. Nope, this isn't for photographers on location. Great for a long plane trip and sexy to boot. But that's about it. I'll stick with my MacBook Pro. Now the next generation of Pro's? That might be interesting.
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:21 AM

I think Apple are on a fishing trip with this new MacBookAir, they're putting it out there and seeing how it sells. A bit like the iPhone, it isn't the greatest phone out there, it's got a small mega-pixel camera with no flash and it's not 3G, but it's selling like hot cakes because it's sexy, well designed and it's an iPod too. You know that the next incarnation will be so much better, same with the MacBookAir Mark II and the effect it will have on the next MacBookPro's. I do hope Mr Jobs doesn't go to gun ho with dropping DVD drives in the Pro models my clients like having a DVD disc with their images on as well as the stuff I send them by ftp. The MacBookAir will be the perfect laptop for Ad Agency Account handlers to turn up to new clients with, not for working photographers. I'd have one tomorrow but it would up set the wife, she thinks I'm spending to much on equipment as it is.

Alistair Kerr Photography
www.alistairkerrphotography.co.uk
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:35 AM
pro member

It is a communications device, a large iPhone and filling up a corner of the laptop market. I wished they brought back the 13 inch Power/Pro Book with all the power of a Pro but small...
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:05 AM
pro member

A beautiful device. I think it may very well win awards for design and aesthetic qualities.

It may be perfect for writing. Certainly much better than a PDA in that regard and not as troublesome to carry as a "real" laptop.