Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old July 31st, 2008, 12:02 PM

Default Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX150

Any thoughts about the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX150?
It looks like it has everything I'd look for in this type camera..

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0807/08...sonicfx150.asp
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:19 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Hi Don,

For $600 this is a camera with f2.8 at the widest end of 28mm. The diffraction limit is easily exceeded for this 1/1.72" tiny sensor with tinier sensels. It goes from f 2.8 to f 9.0 in just "two stops". Does not sound good! The tele is from f 5.6 to f18. Why? Again I see two stops. F18 is way too small an aperture for this camera!

It seems this camera is designed to High Def enthusiasts and has the capability to adjust for many different backlit or poorly lit conditions. This capability is in the new Venus IV imaging engine common to their new cameras. I'd have preferred 24 mm as the wider end and less pixels but I bet this is still a very smart and easy to use camera. I'd be suspicious of Sony claims of ISO 1600. Still, this camera seems to have a lot going for it.

There's other candidates: the now "old in the tooth" Canon G9 who's lens is probably not as good, (CA at the wide end) but it's a proven system that uses all the Canon speedlights! There's also a new LX3 comes with manual controls, F2.0-F2.8 24-60mm (35mm equivalent) Leica DC Vario-Summicron lens, a somewhat larger 1/1.63-inch CCD sensor with 10.1 million effective pixels and a 16:9 aspect ratio of the sensor and LCD. I like that! It also has a x0.75 WA accessor lens which would then give the widest focal length of 18mm! There's also an accessory viewfinder.

The Lumix DMC-LX3 price tag in the U.K is 399.99 compares 299 for the DMC-FX150 and commensurate with that it's 10% bigger in every direction! 265g v 179 gm a 30% greater weight too!

However, I have the feeling that the DMC-LX3 will be of more use to the photographer who knows what they are doing. 24 mm is a good wide end for street scenes and vacation as well as indoors. It zooms to 75 mm so that covers people and short tele, HA, Ha!

That's thee one I'd like!

The other camera, with f18 aperture and nearly 15MP is off in fantasy land! Still, if the images were taken with the higher pixel level camera and the image reduced to 10MP, doubtless there would be little difference in 8x10 prints for images using f5.6 apertures.

I'd love to see both cameras!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 1st, 2008, 08:32 AM

Thanks, Asher-
I missed the fact that there were only 2 available apertures.
I think you're right about the LX3.