• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Working HDRI into QTVR

John_Nevill

Having recently got interested in HDRI, I thought I try and work it into a QTVR.

So armed with usual 5D and Sigma 12-24, together with a Nodal Ninja 3 and sturdy tripod, I went in search of a suitable scene.

Close to where I live is an old disused canal, time of day is ~13:00, although the light was low as the UK is fastly approaching the winter equinox.

I set up the rig, took a few light meter readings and decided to bracket at +/- 2EV of an exposure of 1/320 sec at f/8, ISO 400.

The Sigma has an angle of view ~90 in portrait mode, so I settled on an interval of 45 degrees (50% overlap) and took 3 shots per interval, plus 3 shots at the Zenith (skyward) and 3 at the Nadir (ground). I then ousted the tripod and took 3 handheld shots of the Nadir. Making a total of 33 shots!

Back home, I systematically processed each set of 3 in Photomatix Pro, tonemaped them and then pulled them into Lightroom for curve and sat adjustment.

The procesed tripod mounted Nadir shot was then opened in CS3 and the handheld shots were used to mask out the tripod and add a copyright logo.

I now had 10 images, 8 making up the 360 degree panoramic, plus Zenith and Nadir.

On to PTGUI Pro, the 8 images were added, control points created (as many as 15 per pair) for stitching, before introducing the Zenith and Nadir images and adding respective control points.

Finally the image was blended and the following websize QTVR created. (Click on link or representative image below, you'll need QT to view)

So this is my first attempt at bringing these techniques together and I'm quite pleased with the result. Unfortunately, it was quite windy, so trying to tie in 33 images, things can end up a little soft, hence the limit of output size.

Thanks to Michael Fontana for his valued input along the way!

Last edited:

Michael Fontana

pro member
Congrats!

Great scene, and great first QTR-baby, John!

To the members not knowing the process of making spherical panos: it's not to easy, so cheers to John's first one!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John,

There's no doubt that this is a major technology we have only just started to examine.

I just realized that the QTR is a wonderful way of seeing art in the landscape all over again.

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
John

I found these settings for the use of the Sigma 12-24 on FF for a sphere:

FF; min. shots: N, 6 images every 60° at -30° pitch, 6 images every 60° at +30° pitch, Z

Just wanted to let you know.....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

Just to make the post readable to the uninitiated, could you explain N pitch and Z?

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

John_Nevill

Thanks Miichael, I'll make a note of them. Unfortunately the NN3 is on its way back to the supplier, so i'm panoless at the moment. I've decided to wait for the NN5, as I need something more sturdy!

Michael Fontana

pro member
Sorry Asher

I just came along that info during waiting some HDRs to be generated; I quite often surf then; therefore the post was short....

John, thanks for explaining already. I think:

N = Nadir

Z = Zenith

574px-Emisferi_celesti.svg.png

Michael Fontana

pro member
°grin° John might still be counting °/grin°

Witch a fisheye 15 mm and 8 shots: 6 shots each 60 degr. with pitch 0 + Nadir + Zenith, here it takes about 5 - 6 hours, when using HDR = 24 images.

One of the rather complex things is the retouch of the Nadir, with panohead and tripod on it.

John_Nevill

Michael,

You were close, although there were a few more images as I like a bigger overlap!

8 shots at 45 degrees + 1 Zenith + 1 Nadir + 1 Nadir handheld patch to mask the tripod x 3 exposures = 33 images.

Time taken:
To set up and photograph ~20mins,
To HDR ~15mins
To patch in CS3 ~15mins
To stitch ~1hour
Total time ~2 hours

Before I sent the pano head back I was working with 2 Nadir's at 180 degrees to each other, this reduces the hole size and makes the patching easier / quicker.

Key elements to creating fast HQ QTVRs are tripod / head stability and rigidity, pano index rotation accuracy and repeatability. So it's worthwhile investing in substantial panohead capable of holding your rig with ease.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Two hours?

Wow, that's fast!
33 HDRs in a quarter of an hour?
Can't do that...... even I thought my box to be fast.

And patching the Nadir takes here more time, too.

John, yep, the NN5 is better for your cam/lens-combo!

John_Nevill

Michael,

I just checked the HDR timings, as I thought they might be underestimated.

3 x 12mb RAWs (5D) directly imported into Photomatix, converted, HDR'd, tonemapped and outputted to a single 16bit Tiff = ~1min 20secs

3 x 73mb Tiffs (LR converted) imported into Photomatix, HDR'd, tonemapped and outputted to a single 16bit Tiff = ~50secs

I'm equally amazed at the speed at which PTGui Pro works, now its optimised for multiprocessors.

My PC runs a 3.2GHz (overclocked) Core 2 duo with 3Gb Ram , Radeon X1650pro, SATAII Raid drives all on Vista 32bit.

On the down side I do get the odd crash within Photomatix, especially when importing RAWs.

Michael Fontana

pro member
>now its optimised for multiprocessors....<

it seems to me not for mac PPC; on vers 2.5.1 with 4 x 2.5 GHz, 8.5 GB RAM, here.

okay, I see they have a update since then...

I proposed multi-cpu- awareness to the devs of Photomatix, a year ago, and they wrote back, this beeing uselesss ... ah well....

Michael Fontana

pro member
John, please can you confirm the multi-cpu-awareness of Photomatix.
This would be fine; before I will write a mail to the devs...
just to make sure!

I loaded the vers 2.5.4, and it runs just on one cpu. Still a bit faster, it seemed, but about 3 minutes...

John_Nevill

Michael,

No, Photomatix its not multiprocessor aware.

BTW, I just upgraded to 2.5.4 and its shaves about 5 secs off those timings.