• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Capture One 4 beta and camera profiles

Michael Mouravi

Don't know if that's old news, but I've found the way to use custom camera profiles with C1 beta2 on a Mac:

In the Applications folder right-click on Capture One and choose "Show Package Contents"

Open folder Contents

Open folder Resources

Open folder Profiles

Open folder Input

That's where camera profiles reside. I put my camera profile there and renamed it. The default profile for my camera is "CanonEOS1DMKIIN-Generic.icm", so I renamed my custom profile to "CanonEOS1DMKIIN-Mine.icm"

Then in Capture One if you go to Q tab, it will be listed as available profile, along with the default one.

Michael

This is exactly what I needed and had no idea you could do it this way, so, thank you, thank you...

but..

I did everything and placed my profile in document folder as you described but going to check at the "Q" list, the profile is not there. I quit C1 and opened again, but no change. I even save "it as" a name that exist -with an extra letter because I was not allowed to replace-, and nothing.

I feel that I am close to completing the circle. A good friend made two profiles for me the other day and I have tested them on the TIFF file after convention in PS IMAGE>MODE>ASSIGN PROFILE

http://leonardobarreto.com/zBlog.html

This is the effect, but you have to use Safari since in Firefox the profile effect is mute...

Anyway, it would be a lot better if I could use the profile BEFORE the Tiff is kooked ....

Michael Mouravi

Leonardo, not sure why this doesn't work for you. Let's check if we are doing the same thing. Apologies for the large picture, I just wanted to show the whole path to the folder...

1. Right-click on Capture One and choose Show Package Contents

c141.jpg

2. Navigate to the folder where profiles are stored. Place the profile there and rename it the same as the generic profile for my camera, except replaced "generic" with "Mine"

c142.jpg

3. In Q tab the profile shows up under my camera as "Mine"

c143.jpg

Michael Fontana

pro member
It works, renaming is the key, apart from the "open-packages" hint !

I had initially - a while ago - loaded the etc-profiles, in the exactly same way, as Michael described, but without renaming: no luck.

When setting: °CanonEOS yx° - or your generic cam's pofile name - prior to your profile name, it works. I think, there's kinda filter, within C1 b4, to avoid long profile' s lists, from the top of your display to the cellar....

After renaming, you' ve to restart C1...

C1-4b_profiles.jpg

OK guys, I got it. Now I have to try making a raw test with the profile on C1, as opposed to C1 caned profiles and to this new profile applied to the TIFF in photoshop...

Thank you for the recipe I was thinking exactly about this when I saw the post.

I wonder why Phase doesn't have a command that would go something like "Import custom camera profile"

Best,
leonardo

Michael Fontana

pro member
Nill, yes they do perfectly, here.

Actually there shouldn't be any reason, for not working, as these profiles just tell C1, how to interpretate the RAWs. As long as there is some standart, it works, unless C1 would jump the standart. It's Mac here, but I didn't see any reason, why it shouldn' t be identical on a PC, unless you have a new OS, with a completly new colourmanagement.

Just to verify the 1 Ds-2's hi- vs lowsat-profile, I exported both, they showed the same behaviour as with 3.7.6

You've to apply the two hints, mentioned earlier in that thread.

Last edited:

Michael Mouravi

Interesting...

I don't have Magne's profiles for 1D Mk2n, but my own profiles made for C1 3.7.x look dramatically different in C1 4 Beta2. They are oversaturated and colors are seriously off...

Michael Fontana

pro member
Michael, ok, I didn't shoot a colorchecker, but think the added images look pretty fine, just quick and dirt-conversions..and screenshots only...
BTW: I didn't try to mimikry the result from converter 1 in converter 2.

In LR, I had pushed yellow/orange+green a bit; you might notice, that I had AutoWB on both RCs, which already makes a difference: C1 4b: 4775/+1 LR: 4550/+4 (temp/tint)

C1_4b_etc-vs_LR.jpg

I think that in part this may be due to the more contrasted tone curve of the C14 beta. This is just speculation. In any event, Magne's profiles can be read by the beta, but it is a major annoyance to have to adopt such a procrustean convention of naming. I hope that they work a lot of things out by the time C1 Pro 4 is released, and that they will finally give use a point Curves tool worthy of that name. It is a very great shame that their development is lagging to such an extent.

Ok, there are so many contradictions --or people with contradictory methodology and/or theories--. I was talking with the friend that helped me with profiling my P25 and he said:

"you want to applie the profile IN PHOTOSHOP " as opposed to this method described here (that my intuition was telling me was the desirable way).

So, which is it?

And, second problem: I was able to install the profile, the profile came up in C1 Beta 4's list of profiles. When I selected the homemade profile I could see the effect on the preview of C1 and this effect was consistent with the profile...

Then, when I process one image with Phase profile and another with the custom one, the two resulting images look exactly the same in Photoshop...

Michael Fontana

pro member
Leonardo,

I did assign the etc-profiles to the beta 4, as shown in the screenshot, post 4
And for sure, the output is different than when I use the generic one! What output profile did you used?

I never heard about applying a camera profile after the conversion, later in PS.
It doesn't make sense to me.

Michael Mouravi

Ok, there are so many contradictions --or people with contradictory methodology and/or theories--. I was talking with the friend that helped me with profiling my P25 and he said:

"you want to applie the profile IN PHOTOSHOP " as opposed to this method described here (that my intuition was telling me was the desirable way).

So, which is it?

And, second problem: I was able to install the profile, the profile came up in C1 Beta 4's list of profiles. When I selected the homemade profile I could see the effect on the preview of C1 and this effect was consistent with the profile...

Then, when I process one image with Phase profile and another with the custom one, the two resulting images look exactly the same in Photoshop...

Leonardo, the second problem could happen if in C1 you choose "embed camera profile" in processing and your Photoshop in Color Management is set to discard profile.

Try this:

1. In C1 processing tab, select your Photoshop working space (Adobe RGB or what have you)
2. In Photoshop color settings select "preserve embedded profiles" and check the "ask if profile mismatch" checkbox.

Now about what your friend says about applying the profile... First, let's make sure the profile for C1 was created correctly. It should be done as follows:

1. You develop the color chart shot in C1. Only adjust the White Balance. In processing tab, select "embed camera profile". Use 16-bit tiff.
2. Open the file in Photoshop and choose "discard profile". Save the tiff file
3. Use this file to create the profile in whatever software is being used.

If that's how the profile was made, then it should be applied in C1, not later in Photoshop.

Hope this helps