• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

DNG Profile Editor for LR2 & ACR4.5

The Adobe DNG Profile Editor beta for LR2 & ACR 4.5 that can be downloaded together with a bunch of Canon and Nikon camera beta profiles seems to be very useful.
In LR2 the downloaded profiles for my Canon 40D will show up under the Camera Calibration tab. The naming conventions follows the Canon standard with names like Faithful, Landscape, Neutral, Portrait and Standard. IMHO the profiles are not a perfect match to the Canon 40D JPEGs but very close.
The DNG Profile Editor can be used for making adjustments to one of the Adobe supplied profiles (over 400) or to make your own profile from one or two pictures of a GMB ColorChecker.

My best results so far is a 40D profile created from a Tungsten and a daylight shot of the ColorChecker, the biggest problem is to get a good daylight shoot (close to 6500K no color cast). This profile came out as something in between the Faithful and the Standard profile from Adobe
My second best is a 40D profile based on the Nikon D300 standard profile.

/Stefan

Cem_Usakligil

The Adobe DNG Profile Editor beta for LR2 & ACR 4.5 that can be downloaded together with a bunch of Canon and Nikon camera beta profiles seems to be very useful.
In LR2 the downloaded profiles for my Canon 40D will show up under the Camera Calibration tab. The naming conventions follows the Canon standard with names like Faithful, Landscape, Neutral, Portrait and Standard. IMHO the profiles are not a perfect match to the Canon 40D JPEGs but very close.
The DNG Profile Editor can be used for making adjustments to one of the Adobe supplied profiles (over 400) or to make your own profile from one or two pictures of a GMB ColorChecker.

My best results so far is a 40D profile created from a Tungsten and a daylight shot of the ColorChecker, the biggest problem is to get a good daylight shoot (close to 6500K no color cast). This profile came out as something in between the Faithful and the Standard profile from Adobe
My second best is a 40D profile based on the Nikon D300 standard profile.

/Stefan
Hi Stefan,

I do not quite undestand the statement in bold. You mean you have used the D300 profile as the basis and then created a new 40D profile using a color checker chart? If so, then the basis should make no difference or whatsoever IMO. Maybe I misunderstood you :)

Cheers,

Hi Cem,

You can create a profile based on any of the over 400 profiles that are available.
You need a file in DNG format from the camera you want to make a new profile for but no need for a color checker in the case of making a Canon 40D profile from a D300.

On a Windows Vista machine you will find the Adobe profiles in:
C:/ProgramData/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

Since writing my earlier post I noticed some problems in the shadow regions with the Canon Camera beta 1 profiles for 40D, if I use the black point tool in LR2 I get a red shift in the clipped shadow regions. I also noticed that if you make a copy of one of the 40D Camera beta 1 profiles the problem will go away but the gamma behavior for the dark shadows will be different.
Asking Eric Chan at Adobe the answer was :
"When you export a copy of the profile from the Profile Editor, a slightly lower-res version of the tone curve is used, which has the side effect of smoothing out the shadow part of the tone curve. This causes the shadows to be a bit more like the default Camera Raw tone curve, which has a touch more shadow contrast."

BR/Stefan

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,

You can create a profile based on any of the over 400 profiles that are available.
You need a file in DNG format from the camera you want to make a new profile for but no need for a color checker in the case of making a Canon 40D profile from a D300.

On a Windows Vista machine you will find the Adobe profiles in:
C:/ProgramData/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

Since writing my earlier post I noticed some problems in the shadow regions with the Canon Camera beta 1 profiles for 40D, if I use the black point tool in LR2 I get a red shift in the clipped shadow regions. I also noticed that if you make a copy of one of the 40D Camera beta 1 profiles the problem will go away but the gamma behavior for the dark shadows will be different.
Asking Eric Chan at Adobe the answer was :
"When you export a copy of the profile from the Profile Editor, a slightly lower-res version of the tone curve is used, which has the side effect of smoothing out the shadow part of the tone curve. This causes the shadows to be a bit more like the default Camera Raw tone curve, which has a touch more shadow contrast."

BR/Stefan
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the detailed response, I appreciate it. But you too have misunderstood me. I already use the tool myself so I know about the details you have written. I also have a GM color checker and have used it to create new profiles for myself. What I can see is that a new adequate profile is generated when one uses the color checker charts, regardless of which starting profile has been used, be it a 40D or a D300 one. The end result seems to be the same. So that is what has confused me in your original post, why do you specifically use a D300 profile to start with?

Cheers,

Hi Cem,

If I want to make a profile from single or dual shoots of a color checker the chosen starting profile doesn't matter.

If I like the Adobe Nikon D300 Camera beta 1 profile when used for photos shot with a Nikon D300 I can create a copy for a Canon 40D by using the DNG Profile editor and save it under a name of my choise. In this case I only open up a Canon 40D DNG and select the D300 profile and save the profile, this will give me a a 40D profile that gives a rendering that is very close to what I would have got from a Nikon D300.

BR/ Stefan