• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

slowmotion

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi

just thought about that:
photography is about reaching a point, standing still, making photos, walk away ...
why don't do that: don't stop for making a photo, move along while taking a photo?

I tried, with interesting and somehow touching results (... well, the adventure has just started, it is an "universe" of yet unknown treasuries ... :) )

p1288491872-4.jpg

p1292821832-4.jpg

p1288492070-4.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi

just thought about that:
photography is about reaching a point, standing still, making photos, walk away ...
why don't do that: don't stop for making a photo, move along while taking a photo?

I tried, with interesting and somehow touching results (... well, the adventure has just started, it is an "universe" of yet unknown treasuries ... :) )

p1288491872-4.jpg

p1292821832-4.jpg

p1288492070-4.jpg

Wolfgang,

This is excellent. It works with people too! But the colors! How did they happen?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Took this one during cycling through a tunnel where bicycles are normally not permitted - this day they were.

Michael,

What's interesting is that this work goes against all the impulses of photography using cameras made to excel in so many technical parameters. People scan and study countless magazines, reviews and test pictures to gather evidence on the prowess of lenses they'll invest in. So to work with just the motif of the barest of feelings and movements is counterintuitive.

However, you're on the right track. This is a richer journey to follow!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Wolfgang, Michael;

Very productive field to explore with infinite possibilities.
I wonder if the effect would be as impact full if in mono?

Regards.

Asher Kelman

Wolfgang, Michael;

Very productive field to explore with infinite possibilities.
I wonder if the effect would be as impact full if in mono?

Regards.

Very well! For example, work by Rainer Viertblock from Munich on vacation in Venice:

RainerViertblock_03.jpg

You'll find more here!

Last edited:

Jarmo Juntunen

Oh right then folks. You'll have Dinning come strong at you with these.

But I like all of them. One of the good things about photography is it allows you to look at things in a new way. And this is what you're doing here.

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

It's an old article on use of a small camera to deconstruct images and deal with the sense of things and not the details that clutter our compositions. Just another way of looking at the world that struck me as interesting, since it comes from a professional architectural photographer who is most exacting in his commercial work.

but yes, we'll be having new articles for 2013.

Asher

In keeping with the general location of the photos already posted, here is a 20-second exposure taken on the Autobahn one evening.

tumblr_m5620k1xQk1rxciibo1_1280.jpg

Hi George,

Here is one (it's actually a blend of 2 exposures) of mine, on the return home from the Photokina (I've posted it before), just after crossing the border from the German "Autobahn" onto the Dutch "snelweg":

2137+39_Return-from-Photokina.jpg

During the long exposure I also rotated the camera some 90 degrees (I was not the driver ;) ).

Cheers,
Bart

Jerome Marot

Jerome,
thanks ...

You don't need to thank me. Instead, try to define what kind of subject will cooperate well with the blur. This is important. We have all seen blurry pictures, but few work well. These 3 pictures work. Why is that so?

I have my own ideas on that subject, but I'd like to hear yours first.

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi Jerome,
I'm going to make further experiences the next days, when there will be some snow and the colors reduced.
But basically it seems, that there should be nearly no small details in the foregrounds and not to much in the background. There is a connection between exposuretime and aperture and the speed of my movement forward and the shaking of the camera during walking on ...

Jerome Marot

Hi Jerome,
I'm going to make further experiences the next days, when there will be some snow and the colors reduced.
But basically it seems, that there should nearly no small details in the foregrounds and not to much in the background. There is a connection between exposuretime and aperture and the speed of my movement forward and the skaking of the camera during walking on ...

Yes: not too many small details. I think that some of the element should be oriented in the direction of the blur as well (e.g. the trees). What do you think?

Asher Kelman

_MG_1496 Presents.jpg

Asher Kelman: Play

December, 2012

Canon 5D II, 24-105

This picture was further processed here where I'll try to add more extreme derivatives of slowmotion capture.

Asher

Zeeshan Ali

Amazing photographs Wolfgang. Your photographs reminded me of a photographer whose I work I had seen on Flickr some time ago. I dont know if anyone here is aware of Chirs Friel's work but he combines amazing long exposures and multiple exposures into a single image. I think everyone on this forum would benefit looking at his images here http://www.flickr.com/photos/cfriel/

I have also been experimenting with long exposures and I love the abstract feel of the images this technique provides. It takes us into a new world altogether which is a alot closer to our imagination than reality. Here are some of my photographs.

dsc_6901.jpg

dsc_6898.jpg

dsc_5488.jpg

Asher Kelman

I dont know if anyone here is aware of Chirs Friel's work but he combines amazing long exposures and multiple exposures into a single image. I think everyone on this forum would benefit looking at his images here http://www.flickr.com/photos/cfriel/

Links like this are so appreciated!

_MG_3990_RAW.jpg

I have also been experimenting with long exposures and I love the abstract feel of the images this technique provides. It takes us into a new world altogether which is a alot closer to our imagination than reality. Here are some of my photographs.

dsc_6898.jpg

Zeeshan,

This one, with the extra swish and swirl of the abstract paintbrush stands out. The abstraction is beautiful. What more do you have?

Asher​

Asher Kelman

I dont know if anyone here is aware of Chirs Friel's work but he combines amazing long exposures and multiple exposures into a single image. I think everyone on this forum would benefit looking at his images here http://www.flickr.com/photos/cfriel/

Links like this are so appreciated!

dsc_6898.jpg

Zeeshan,

This one, with the extra swish and swirl of the abstract paintbrush stands out. The abstraction is beautiful. What more do you have?

Asher

Zeeshan Ali

Zeeshan,

Asher

Some more;

dsc_7885.jpg

I was experimenting with long exposures on people while in Angkor Wat. The setting was perfect as it was dark and lots of people about. This one though was a pure accident and I really like the ghostly figure moving out of the frame hence decided to keep it.

dsc_8114.jpg

This was another experiment I did about a year back.