• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New 24" imacs 1 TB drives, FW 800, 5 USB ports, Gb Ethernet for All Your Workflow?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
New 24" imacs 1 TB drives, FW 800, 5 USB ports, Gb Ethernet for All Your Workflow?

Have we arrived at a better choice for Photography Workflow? Will it be fast enough and is the Graphics card limiting. What about the data paths?

Apple Unveils New iMac

product-24in.jpg

“This new iMac is the most incredible desktop computer we’ve ever made,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Our new design features the innovative use of materials, including professional-grade aluminum and glass, that are highly recyclable."

The new 24-inch 2.4 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,799(US)​
includes:
  • 24-inch widescreen LCD display;
  • 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor;
  • 1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 4GB;
  • a slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW);
  • ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB GDDR3 memory;
  • built-in iSight video camera;
  • built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;
  • 320GB up to 1TB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;
  • mini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately[/COLOR]);
  • built-in stereo speakers and microphone; and
  • the new Apple Keyboard, Mighty Mouse and infrared Apple Remote.

Source.

Last edited:

Michael Brown

The two G4's that I have now are running just fine, but man, when a client asked last week could I work on a 320MB and a 360MB file, ..... well, let's just say that the G4's started to struggle a bit.

I am now looking at these new iMacs and also studying the Mac Pro 4 systems.
I am leaning towards one of the 24" iMacs, but if clients start asking on a regular basis for some of my photoshop tricks that I sometimes whip up out of thin air, I may have to go with one of the Mac Pros.
Beefing up the RAM in the iMac might do me just fine. Hopefully I can figure it out soon.

Still, ... they all look enticing!
(and, ..... the wife is now scared half to death!)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Michael,

Take a disk of images and test your work on the machines in an Apple store. Just arrange it beforehand and they'll have the 24" and MacPro machines ready with the software you specify on board. You might have to bring your CS2 or CS3 discs. Aperture, of course, they'll have, but LR, probably not. You must speak to the manager in person and confirm they know exactly what you expect.

Think what you want to do. Decide if you want to time particular processes or whether you will just work by your sense of how fast work seems to go.

Good luck and update us!

Asher

Michael Brown

Hi Michael,

Take a disk of images and test your work on the machines in an Apple store. Just arrange it beforehand and they'll have the 24" and MacPro machines ready with the software you specify on board. You might have to bring your CS2 or CS3 discs. Aperture, of course, they'll have, but LR, probably not. You must speak to the manager in person and confirm they know exactly what you expect.

Think what you want to do. Decide if you want to time particular processes or whether you will just work by your sense of how fast work seems to go.

Good luck and update us!

Asher

Thanks Asher,
I just might give it a go and run up to the Apple Store in Charlotte, NC.
Wish that we had one a bit closer here in the Columbia area.
South Carolina is always the last state to get anything.
I think that we are the last state in the country to get a sunrise everyday!

But seriously, ... I will be getting another system here soon so it might be a good idea to travel that 100 miles and check things out first.
The work that I am doing has grown far faster than I ever expected it to do, (happily), and it's time for some more goodies to work with.
Yes, ... the wife may gripe, ... but I often remind her of that griping when the checks arrive, and also remind her of the calm person that I have become since working for myself, ... and not working for a bunch of morons! :)

Will give you a update soon, ... hopefully.

Michael