• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Parcel Arrived from China! The Chamonix 8x10

Daniel Buck

I've been using the Chamonix 8x10 for about a month or two now, and I love it! I've also had my Chamonix 4x5 for about a year, and have been enjoying it as well. I've gone through several 4x5 and 8x10 cameras until I settled on Chamonix. I like their design, and they do what I need them to, and are fairly light weight! They might not be 'the camera' for everyone, but for me they are as close to perfect as I think I'll find.

The Chamonix film holders (I only have two of them, in 8x10) are almost to nice to use! I usually end up leaving them on my shelf and using my plastic Fidelity and Lisco holders instead, and only use the Chamonix holders when I need a few extra.

Jim Galli

CONGRATS!! What a gorgeous machine! Can't wait for the first fruits. Put a Packard out in front of that Pinkham & Smith and start making some pictures the 5 triple D Canon cannot.

Daniel Buck

oh, and one thing I did do on the Cham 8x10, was switch the 1/4" and 3/8" tripod screw threads, so that the 3/8" thread (the one I use) is in the center of the base plate, instead of at the back of the camera. It seems more balanced that way, since I don't usually extend the camera very far, my longest lens being 450mm and I don't shoot macro. It was super easy to switch the threads, just 3 screws in each.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
CONGRATS!! What a gorgeous machine! Can't wait for the first fruits. Put a Packard out in front of that Pinkham & Smith and start making some pictures the 5 triple D Canon cannot.
Jim,

Are used Packard shutters generally OK or should I buy a new one? Maybe I should twist Will Thompson's arm to lend me one!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
oh, and one thing I did do on the Cham 8x10, was switch the 1/4" and 3/8" tripod screw threads, so that the 3/8" thread (the one I use) is in the center of the base plate, instead of at the back of the camera. It seems more balanced that way, since I don't usually extend the camera very far, my longest lens being 450mm and I don't shoot macro. It was super easy to switch the threads, just 3 screws in each.
Well Daniel,

I'll PM you. We'll have to get together then.

Asher