• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Sunrise Panoramas from Mt. Summit

I got these last fall from the top of Mt. Pugh in Washington's North Cascades. I've climbed almost every mountain in these pictures, some many times, so this is my backyard.

22545960495_8baf997bf9_b.jpg

Sperry-Big Four

21923225324_cae735974a_b.jpg

Mt. Baker behind Whitechuck Peak

My favorite of the trip (yes, I got rained on soon after this was shot):
22557161151_1d763657c9_b.jpg

Mt. Baker & Shuksan behind Whitechuck​

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jim,

All stunning.

This is my favorite:

21923225324_cae735974a_b.jpg

Mt. Baker behind Whitechuck Peak​

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Why black and white.......? PD

Pat,

Let me add my feelings on this. The very best photography of the masters, as the art developed has been in B&W. Only this allows 100% devotion to texture, shading, gross and fine structure and form. As soon as color is introduced, the emotional eruptions consequent on use of color can distract from the purity of form.

If, by chance one is interested in fall colors, then that is an entirely different circumstance, where, of course, the blessings of color splashes and variations are the whole draw of the picture. Absent that, if the form has impact, it will be best shown in monochrome. Of course one can find exceptions, but with the tools available in wet chemistry and digital imaging, nothing can match the B&W landscape where texture shadow, layering, light and form are key to the design and strength of the presentation.

Chances are it will also look wonderful in color, especially if there are animals, birds and people in it as well. But, the most pure form, reflecting the work of the masters, will always be in B&W!

For those brought up with digital imaging, color is so expected and "normal", so B&W might seem a twist of some "truth". Actually, the truth of photography is limited to such facts as the make of the camera, the reported settings and notation of who clicked the shutter.

To appreciate classical B&W photography one does have to invest a modest effort in perusing the works of those who trailblazed this form of artwork. Otherwise, color might be the only comfortable option.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Let me add my feelings on this. The very best photography of the masters, as the art developed has been in B&W. Only this allows 100% devotion to texture, shading, gross and fine structure and form. As soon as color is introduced, the emotional eruptions consequent on use of color can distract from the purity of form.

If, by chance one is interested in fall colors, then that is an entirely different circumstance, where, of course, the blessings of color splashes and variations are the whole draw of the picture. Absent that, if the form has impact, it will be best shown in monochrome. Of course one can find exceptions, but with the tools available in wet chemistry and digital imaging, nothing can match the B&W landscape where texture shadow, layering, light and form are key to the design and strength of the presentation.

Chances are it will also look wonderful in color, especially if there are animals, birds and people in it as well. But, the most pure form, reflecting the work of the masters, will always be in B&W!

For those brought up with digital imaging, color is so expected and "normal", so B&W might seem a twist of some "truth". Actually, the truth of photography is limited to such facts as the make of the camera, the reported settings and notation of who clicked the shutter.

To appreciate classical B&W photography one does have to invest a modest effort in perusing the works of those who trailblazed this form of artwork. Otherwise, color might be the only comfortable option.

A very interesting outlook on the role of B&W photography. Thanks.

Happy New Year!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Maggie,

Thanks for addressing this wonderful set. It does serve to celebrate both the beauty of our planet and the amazing rendering of this by modern digital photography in B&W.

Your attention and support to our good work here is so appreciated!

Asher

Last edited:
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Pat, Asher nailed it on why go B&W. Peter, yes, I also liked the original color versions, but these esp. stood out in B&W.

Here are a few color shots from sunset/rise (I spent the night on the summit by myself):

22300263431_a42f934e2c_o.jpg

Sunset over Puget Sound from Mt. Pugh

21660245483_16e6fc77e1_o.jpg

Moon Over Glacier Peak

22101689510_65fb7912e8_o.jpg

Sunrise on Mt. Baker​

Asher Kelman

21660245483_16e6fc77e1_o.jpg

Moon Over Glacier Peak

This I wanted to enjoy on its own. That night sky is simply magnificent!

Asher

Andy brown

Jim, it was a great series already, now with the addition of the superb colour shots (to go with the superb B&W's), it's awesome.

I love the way you reach into the scenes to isolate the powerful points and concentrate the colour.

Thanks for the last comments. This night epitomizes why I hike/climb/photograph. It was also one of the first nights out with my new Sony A7rII and I was quite satisfied with the results.

Asher Kelman

Thanks for the last comments. This night epitomizes why I hike/climb/photograph. It was also one of the first nights out with my new Sony A7rII and I was quite satisfied with the results.

I would love to hear how far you can enlarge your detail rich prints from this wonderful Sony A7IIR. In my experience, apart from defining individual hair strands better, looking from 6" away, the Phase One MF back was no better for impact than the A7R original version, at least in my hands. So I expect that this newer camera of yours is even better.

Asher