• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Public Art Submission September 2017: An Homage to Abandoned Battlefields

Peter Dexter

Well somewhere above a poster commented on the elements that would be tacked onto the sheet of steel spiraling around the three colored vertical sheets. The suggestion to remove them from the project is probably a good one. I remember years ago I temporarily replaced a professor who went on sabbatical. His project was to construct a very large sculpture for the campus that consisted of three freeform artist pallet shaped platforms mounted one above the other on steel poles. On each level, connected by a staircase he was going to place potted cactus. He described the proposal as an "Environmental Sculpture". But that was back in 1970 when the concept of "environmental" wasn't terribly clear.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well somewhere above a poster commented on the elements that would be tacked onto the sheet of steel spiraling around the three colored vertical sheets. The suggestion to remove them from the project is probably a good one. I remember years ago I temporarily replaced a professor who went on sabbatical. His project was to construct a very large sculpture for the campus that consisted of three freeform artist pallet shaped platforms mounted one above the other on steel poles. On each level, connected by a staircase he was going to place potted cactus. He described the proposal as an "Environmental Sculpture". But that was back in 1970 when the concept of "environmental" wasn't terribly clear.

Interesting story, Peter! Was his project ever completed?

In my plan, the central "colored pieces of metal" are actually giant plastic tubes in which a man can climb up and down inside to swop out any burned out lights!

RangerArt7_Crossleft.JPG_smaller bsttlefields_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: In homage: Battlefields

England Airpark, Louisianna
planned to be 60 ft high, steel ribbon would be 3 ft wide, Mirror Polished,
Battlefields will have actual remnants of battlefield
s

Asher

Peter Dexter

No. Shortly after he went on sabbatical he broke his leg and spent the rest of the sabbatical laid up in his home. However prior to this he purchased a brand new, top of the line International pickup for the purpose of transporting the elements of the sculpture from his studio to the installation site. He had graduate students weld up a super heavy duty steel frame to support the sculpture elements which was then welded (not bolted) to the truck. The frame was so heavy duty that it nearly reached the load carrying capacity of the vehicle so that when it was done all he could throw in the back was maybe a large bag of dog food.