• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Water Angel

Dwayne Oakes

Thanks for taking a look !

A little comp rule bending in this one.
Hi Asher !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

p78265796-4.jpg

An interesting image Dwayne! I do like a creative, 'break-the-rules' approach in life, as well as photography, so this photo does appeal to me.

I do find the vertical reflections a bit of a distraction, which could be addressed in Photoshop, although I'm not sure how successful it would be.

Thanks for posting. I'll be interested in how others perceive this image.

John Wolf

Hi Dwayne,

This works very well for me, and I really like it. Sometimes the lack of a strict classical composition can feel forced and obvious, but it seems very natural here.

My initial reaction was to perhaps even out the tonality across the image, but I actually like the subtle variation. I do find one or two of the reeds (I think) unncessarily distracting and might try a version with them toned down.

But this is picking nits, and I think it's excellent as is. I think this would make a very strong large print.

John

Dwayne Oakes

Many thanks for the comments ! I think it is good to break the
rules and norm in the craft once and while.

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Picture that follows is perhaps NSFW

Thanks for taking a look !

A little comp rule bending in this one.
Hi Asher !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

p78265796-4.jpg

Dwayne Oakes: Water Angel

First I have to see this picture presented with white space. On one side of the page with the bird there too, it's unreadable to me.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well, Dwayne,

I admit I felt ignorant and wondered whether or not the bird was indeed a "Water Angel". However, I'm no further along I'm my education. What I did find was this:

Angel400p.jpg

This is also said to be a water angel. Since it's by a guy with a name, Jaroslav Wieczorkiewicz', for sure he must be right. Besides, this was shown on Strobist, just November 2011. Maybe she spends spring flying over lakes!

Asher

Asher Kelman

p78265796-4.jpg

now i can see the work, I wonder whether it might be better balanced by bringing out the white marks over the water. Otherwise the bird at the edge is disturbing to me. With enough balancing white marks, I could find this more peaceful. But it's not like that, so I must admit, this is fascinating but not restful.

Asher

Asher Kelman

p78265796-4.jpg

Dwayne,

Now i can see the work, I wonder whether it might be better balanced by bringing out the white marks over the water. Otherwise the bird at the edge is disturbing to me. With enough balancing white marks, I could find this more peaceful. But it's not like that, so I must admit, this is fascinating but not restful.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi Dwayne.
I don't often stop in an add my 2 cents worth on a photo but I've been staring at this one for some time now and listening to the funny little voice in my head.
Without commenting on any technical or compositional aspects, of which either are outside my expertice, I took it upon myself to look at it purely as a viewer and determine what it can offer me.
As a descriptive or explanitory image it has little to offer. This isn't a bad thing. Many photographs we take are purely descriptive or explanatory but just as many are not. There's a bird of unknown type flying in from top left over what appears to be water. Its daylight judging by the reflection. Any other feature is indeterminable.
As for any interpretive aspects, there is nothing to indicate a need to seek any ethical premise for the photo such as capturing a rare and endangered bird or some feature of the water that needs our attention.
That leaves me with the aesthetic interpretation. Being a personal as well as a pychosocial interpretation ther e are few features here which hold me spellbound for more than a few seconds, most of which are focussed on finding the subject matter and getting it in focus.
If I tell myself it is an abstraction I might convince myself that it has some credibility, but even an abtraction has the need for some grounding in reality.
But like any photograph, this shot does have value, as do all photos in as much as it will possibly draw conversations about rule breaking. This, in itself, may make for interesting discussion but doesn't necessarily make the image interesting past this.
Now I have barracaded myself in my room and prepared myself for the onslaught of indignation but I assume you are a grown-up and can take the good with the .... erh.... less good.
Cheers
Tom

Asher Kelman

Hi Dwayne.
I don't often stop in an add my 2 cents worth on a photo but I've been staring at this one for some time now and listening to the funny little voice in my head.
Without commenting on any technical or compositional aspects, of which either are outside my expertice, I took it upon myself to look at it purely as a viewer and determine what it can offer me.
As a descriptive or explanitory image it has little to offer. This isn't a bad thing. Many photographs we take are purely descriptive or explanatory but just as many are not. There's a bird of unknown type flying in from top left over what appears to be water. Its daylight judging by the reflection. Any other feature is indeterminable.
As for any interpretive aspects, there is nothing to indicate a need to seek any ethical premise for the photo such as capturing a rare and endangered bird or some feature of the water that needs our attention.
That leaves me with the aesthetic interpretation. Being a personal as well as a pychosocial interpretation ther e are few features here which hold me spellbound for more than a few seconds, most of which are focussed on finding the subject matter and getting it in focus.
If I tell myself it is an abstraction I might convince myself that it has some credibility, but even an abtraction has the need for some grounding in reality.
But like any photograph, this shot does have value, as do all photos in as much as it will possibly draw conversations about rule breaking. This, in itself, may make for interesting discussion but doesn't necessarily make the image interesting past this.
Now I have barracaded myself in my room and prepared myself for the onslaught of indignation but I assume you are a grown-up and can take the good with the .... erh.... less good.
Cheers
Tom

Tom,

Be confused no longer!!

The purpose of Dwayne's photograph was to expose the odd fact that there's at least one strange fellow from down under who's both erudite and understands why we might share our photographs.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
PHP:
Tom,

Be confused no longer!!

The purpose of Dwayne's photograph was to expose the odd fact that there's at least one strange fellow from down under who's both erudite and understands why we might share our photographs.

Asher

Now that explains it.
I must seek you out, Dwayne, so we can talk nonsense all day.
What has 4 legs and an IQ of 10?
2 Aussies shaking hands.

Cheers
Tom

Sorry, Dwayne, I checked your profile and it seems you come from Canada, just in case you are not aware. I've heard about you Canadians. Much like us Aussies; laid back, easy going, friendly and somewhat apologetic about being who you are. I'll accept you as an Aussie stand-in if you visit.