• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bad news for Mac users?

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
It's a good news Jack!
We will save our money, not buying CS4 and will get 64 bits with CS5…

Adobe makes good SW but like too much my money ;-)

Michael Fontana

pro member
Unless you 're going to work on huge files, you probably will not see a lot of difference. Having lots of RAM and a dedicated sctrach disk will be as important as 64 bit, IMO. With OS 10.4. the OS can borrow aditional RAM to PS, more than the 3 GBs. I've been watching PS grabbing about 6 GB of it.... which is fine for most of my work, but I haven't a Hy6 °g°

I personally would like much more a PS, that has a more modern internal structure, than just beeing 64 bits. Kinda getting rid of PS-1- heritage, on top of which the other versions have been build.

See the original blog by John Nack, and a older one from Scott Byers.

Joe Hardesty

Had this news come a few years ago, it might have bothered me, but today it is of little consequence. With programs like Aperture and Lightroom offering a continuous non-destructive RAW workflow, I seldom use Photoshop.

At this point, I don't foresee any PS upgrades in my future. That's a good thing.

Jack_Flesher

I guess I may be in a minority. Unfortunately I do use CS, and use it a *LOT*. I have 10G ram and 8 processors in my machine now and was hoping the next generation of CS would utilize those better. I also do shoot MF digital and process drum scans of 4x5 film, roughly 80MP images. I can tell you that a few layers on 80MP 16-bit file stresses the current architecture.

However, it is fortunate the new LR will allow for images larger than 10K pixels on a side --- at least now I can browse those panorama stitches...

Cheers,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
With OS 10.4. the OS can borrow aditional RAM to PS, more than the 3 GBs. I've been watching PS grabbing about 6 GB of it.... which is fine for most of my work, but I haven't a Hy6 °g°

Wowwowwow!
How do you do that? I have on Mac 10.5.2, 8 Gb and CS3 is set to use 100% that is to say 3070 Mb. Only…

And for a short while I do use a Hy6. Na!

Michael Fontana

pro member
Nicolas

watch activity monitor from the utilities; when you got plenty of RAM, the OS, >Tiger will borrow some RAM to PS. It was first descripted here but the other day - I think it was somewere in a 64bit-discussion - it was confirmed by Adobe.