• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Off-topic: Hadron Collider

Michael Seltzer

This isn't photography related, exactly, so am not sure where, if anywhere, to post it. The Hadron Collider will power up in a few hours. Nothing too exciting at first, just a Circus Maximus sort of thing: chariot races with protons. But before too long they will be trying to reproduce the Big Bang. Exciting stuff! On the one hand we could learn a lot about our universe, and the scientific/technological breakthroughs that could come from that might be enormous (not to mention the philosophical/theological debates).

On the other hand, I'm not sure this is such a good idea. I mean, I don't want the universe to suddenly start over in the middle of my life, like someone hit the Reset button. And I suspect controlling something like the Big Bang is a little tricky. Anyway, if what they do doesn't actually create a shiny new, pristine universe, then is it a Big Bang? Maybe it's a Tiny Bang. And if Heisenberg has anything to say about it, the fact that they are observing it means it can't be the same as the original (or the most recent, at least). Still, I suspect they'll learn some neat things from it. Unless, of course... well, I've already been there.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

This has everything to do with photography.

_44999320_-1.jpg

The LHC has been under construction for the past 13 years!

Really wonderful pictures can be found here.It might explain how photons work and where magic comes from! Doubtless we'll find new ideas on energy. Unfortunately we're hardly ready for dealing with any new powers.

Now if you don't spin this too fast and lose your orientation, try this spherical panorama. It's with sound of the workman, or little bangs, I invite you to click here to really get some feeling of being there! Remember, easy on the mouse!

Asher

Nill Toulme

So the Big Reset is yet to come? Dang, I thought when I woke up this morning that we had all survived that when they powered it up last night. How much longer till the end of the world then?

Nill

Ken Tanaka

pro member
This is exciting stuff (no real pun intended)! A lifetime ago I did work with FermiLab. For anyone with a scientific background the atmosphere at these great labs is absolutely electric. I would imagine that life at CERN, Fermi's biggest competitor, is incredible these days.

Yes, I think it's time to bring on a black hole. Sony's just released a full-frame clicker, Nikon's selling "stideo" cameras, the 5DII isn't yet announced, and the (American) November election results are not yet known. It's a perfect time to be transported to a new universe.

Michael Seltzer

Great pictures Asher. I hadn’t seen them before. Now I want another interactive pano that lets me fly around the inside of the Hadron like a proton. Maybe this could be a new RPG: each of us could design our own proton and all fly them together in the Hadron. I don’t know if the point of the game would be to smash into each other and try to start something, or be to avoid each other and survive. Someone ought to suggest this to CERN. It would be a great public relations tool.

I think Ken’s on to something. Maybe this thing will teach us how to quickly create and destroy small black holes. If we could do it fast enough, then we’d have a new, vibration free camera shutter. (Always trying to think of the highest possible use for new technology.)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well it started today and no T.S. Eliot prophesy of doom

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang (even a little one) but a whimper.

occurred! Hopefully, nothing will turn out to be as they expected for then we'll know a lot more!

Asher :)