• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: The Dubai Font

fahim mohammed

Currently, the only Sans Serif font and the first one, named after a City.

It is an official MS font.

The ‘ DUBAI FONT ‘. Multiple language support.

Check it out.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Currently, the only Sans Serif font and the first one, named after a City.

It is an official MS font.

The ‘ DUBAI FONT ‘. Multiple language support.

Check it out.

Beautiful! I like the idea that one can read faster. I wonder if this assertion was tested?

Asher

Doug Kerr

I think Dubai (a very nice face, by the way) is the first "Microsoft" face named after a city. Or so it is claimed.

To Nadine Chahine (principal designer of the face), brava!

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Just a caution: there is apparently not yet a bona fide italic form of the Dubai typeface (Microsoft confirms this) and so one should be cautious in invoking the italic form when using this typeface, as what we get will be a "simulated" italic font.

Still, the Windows rendering of that (especially working from the "base" form, which curiously differs from the "medium" form) is really very pleasant.

I have so far only worked with the Latin alphabet portions of the face, as I am not qualified to opine on Arabic typography (that doesn't mean that I won't eventually do so, however).

Thanks to Fahim for bringing this new resource to our attention.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Here is a sample of Arabic in the Dubai typeface (not sure what flavor):

web-mt_fonts_dubaifont_010.jpg

Fahim, perhaps you would be kind enough to translate this passage for us.

Here is a sample of Latin characters in Dubai Regular:

dubai-reg.jpg

And the chief designer, Nadine Chahine:

headshot-nadine-chahine.jpg

All lovely.

Best regards,

Doug