• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Uncle! Photoshop is needed desperately!

Rachel Foster

I hate photoshop. It is my nemesis. I'd rather have a root canal. But...I have to learn how to fix this image. I tried the clone stamp and it was dreadful. How can I lose the (insert expletive) boat in this image??????

boatcr.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

I hate photoshop. It is my nemesis. I'd rather have a root canal. But...I have to learn how to fix this image. I tried the clone stamp and it was dreadful. How can I lose the (insert expletive) boat in this image??????
Like this?

boatcr_edit.jpg

Just a simple operation done using the clone tool in PS. This was really easy to do, just choose some point to the left of the boat as your anchor point and start cloning to the right in small steps. Follow the horizon line while clicking the first time after choosing the anchor (which you do by pressing the ALT key and clicking somewhere on the image).

Cheers,

You mean something like this?
The tick is to use horisontally inversed stamp (width -100%). It's kinda advanced technique, you need to explore clone stamp palette. But it's uber powerful, especially when you deal with sharp light sources like sun...

Attachments

• Rachel Ann Foster boat sunset copy.jpg
    Rachel Ann Foster boat sunset copy.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 171

Rachel Foster

Ok, that may be what I didn't do. I tried the clone tool but it was obviously fake. I'm going to redo it with horizontally inversed stamp tool. I'm also looking for a photoshop workshop in my area. I think I need handholding for PS.

Cem_Usakligil

Ok, that may be what I didn't do. I tried the clone tool but it was obviously fake. I'm going to redo it with horizontally inversed stamp tool. I'm also looking for a photoshop workshop in my area. I think I need handholding for PS.
Hi Rachel,

With all due respect to Nik, there is no need for any such techniques in this particular case. Do not confuse yourself with advanced techniques, just use the normal ones properly as I have demonstrated above. Learn to walk before you can run.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Healing Brush instead of Clone/Stamp Tool.

Rachel, PS is only to hate if you follow the complicated routes many photographers try to sell you. Take a look at Russel Brown's videos and be astounded how easy some things are - much easier than all the recipes in digital imaging books.

Be aware that Doc Brown is very entertaining, probably the only guy around realing knowing Photoshop, and very bad on the xTrain/Adobe TV videos. But the tutorials on his own site are marvellous.

Rachel Foster

Nope, I think it's time I deleted photoshop from my computer and forget it. It may be easy for others, but I give up.

Thanks all....appreciate the help.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Ah, you might be much beter off - and I mean this in all seriousness - with Lightcraft's Lightzone. A superb image processing program, which I'd like to have been taken up by Microsoft to complement Expression Media.

Lightzone uses a completely different paradigm, two actually - one for how to technically deal with image corrections, and another for the UI. Takes about 2 hours and a handful of photos to get used to [if you've come to grips with Adobe's paradigms; less otherwise]. Pays off great dividend.

With luck Cem might still know where my oiginal review of it resides ...

Rachel Foster

Oh, I'll look into that. I've spent countless hours on PS and I think part of the problem is that I no longer have the manual dexterity required. Thanks!

Rachel Foster

I may come back to it....a major failing of mine is not knowing when to quit. But the dexterity issue is not going to go away. I cannot manipulate the mouse well enough I fear.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Ah, you might be much beter off - and I mean this in all seriousness - with Lightcraft's Lightzone. A superb image processing program

Why not? that's a real good suggestion, after all it is not that expensive and I'm getting tired of the permanet upgrades to pay yearly…
Lightzone is not expensive…

Does anyone here has any experience? goods and bads… I'd like to know, I may jump…

Nill Toulme

Rachel it might help to try one or the other or both of (a) working at a higher image magnification, or (b) slowing down your mouse tracking somewhat. Some also find a trackball helpful as a mouse alternative, or perhaps a tablet. And you do have an IR mouse, not one with a ball? That can make a pretty significant difference also.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Michael Fontana

pro member
yep, sometimes LightZone is used here, in the version without the imagebrowser, therefore for retouching only.

Beeing coded in Java, it likes heaps of RAM!

It's correct, behind LightZone are different thoughts about HOW to edit images than PS, it's less tecnical, less abstract. For certain tasks, LZ does the much job faster and easier, because it's different. Another advantage of LZ: you can save a template, which contains all the editing steps, and apply it with 2 mouseklicks on other images. Thats not possible with PS, so I use it when shooting series with similar objects. Dodge and burn is a intergral parth of LZ.

At Uwe's outbackphoto.com, you'll find much more info's about LZ.

Cem_Usakligil

...Another advantage of LZ: you can save a template, which contains all the editing steps, and apply it with 2 mouseklicks on other images. Thats not possible with PS, so I use it when shooting series with similar objects....
Hi Michael,

Technically speaking, this statement is not correct. One can create scripts in PS for all the editing steps. And if one uses Lightroom/Bridge, one can synchronise/copy/paste development settings and also create templates for them.

Just my Euro 0.02

I may come back to it....a major failing of mine is not knowing when to quit. But the dexterity issue is not going to go away. I cannot manipulate the mouse well enough I fear.

This is why many professionals use Wacom Tablets rather than mice (a.k.a. rodents). Please note I cannot recommend the cheaper Wacom tablets due to their lack of sensitivity which makes them harder to use.

a thought,

Sean (who does not even have a mouse connected to his computer)

Michael Fontana

pro member
Cem

I'm aware of PS' scripting capabilities; scripting sometimes myself ;-)

You can't really compare it, LZ's templates are a different beast! It works differently...
at any editing step, you can reedit any previous one, that's not possible in PS, unless you like to work with huge files....

Lghtroom has the same ability, but LR is not PS, nor LZ...

LZ hasn't layers, though...

Wacom: a tablet is great, I can't imagine doing it without...

Just my 0.0.2 sFR ;-)

Cem_Usakligil

Cem

I'm aware of PS' scripting capabilities; scripting sometimes myself ;-)

You can't really compare it, LZ's templates are a different beast! It works differently...
at any editing step, you can reedit any previous one, that's not possible in PS, unless you like to work with huge files....

Lghtroom has the same ability, but LR is not PS, nor LZ...

LZ hasn't layers, though...

Wacom: a tablet is great, I can't imagine doing it without...

Just my 0.0.2 sFR ;-)
Hi Michael,

I know that you know that I know, etc, etc LOL. I have tried LZ extensively and know the differences (pros as well as cons) quite well. I am also aware that LR is not PS ;-).

What I wanted to avoid is giving the casual reader the wrong impression that it would be impossible to do scripting and/or templates within the PS/Bridge combo. Your initial statement was rather black and white, if you get what I mean.

Cheers,

Michael Fontana

pro member
What I wanted to avoid is giving the casual reader the wrong impression that it would be impossible to do scripting and/or templates within the PS/Bridge combo. Your initial statement was rather black and white, if you get what I mean. Cheers,

Hi Cem

I agree what you say... but then:
woud a °average reader° script PS in conjunction with Bridge or even creat droplets?
I guess, less than 5% of PS users are doing it.

in LZ its two mouseklicks...

°I know that you know that I know, etc....°
--> that was for Rachel.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Thanks Bart, the link to Vincent's place is the one I was referring to; I've lost that somehow.

Let me add some perspective. I did use LZ for a time and preferred it to Photoshop. ATM I do not use it anymore for the simple reason that I am using Capture NX 2 [NX before that], which is based upon the same processing paradigm as is Lightzone. Unfortunately both are also based on suboptimal coding environments, one uses Java the other .NET.

Don't let yourself be intimidated by my comparison to CNX! Lightzone has the much, much, much better UI. Lightcraft's developers made the user interface as intuitive [to photographers] as their general approach to image corrections.

PS: I might still have the original size illustrations for the review, with readable legend. Rachel, if you are interested, e-mail me.