• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What should the rules, if any, be for News Photographer?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I applaud you Jerome, fully agreed.

PS: there was yet again some controversy about the winning picture. Some "photo detective" on TV was criticizing it for the exposure being explicitly kept low so that we would not see the man suffering on the right and that our attention would focus on the main characters.

Cem,

As we all know, the job of the news photographer is to make a record representative of what can be seen by a careful observer. The camera must be set right to do this. In a scene with diverse meanings, focusing on one part, (and excluding arguably essential sets of facts needed for fair interpretation), is unwise, at the whether by selective aim, focus, use of a zoom to crop or whatever, is still unethical. All these decisions, if biased and restrictive, are as unethical and unacceptable as changes made later. For art or mementos, we can sample what we enjoy and like, since there's far less moral imperative.

Are the press photographers no longer allowed to decide even on the exposure of their photos? Go figure...

Yes, Cem, it does indeed appear self-evident that no one should be telling a photographer how to expose his/her pictures! In fact the very idea sounds outrageous. However, I then thought about this question and the consequences of such technical matters and the effect on what we get allowed to see and know about. As a result, I've an entirely new view of this.

After consideration, I'd now hope that all technical decisions are subservient to fair and honest representation of the facts of the scene so other folk can make their own impressions as if they too observed the events. The timing of the technical choices and changes is not as material as the effect on bringing us the facts for us to decide ourselves on significance, meaning and future opinions based on "the news"!

Asher :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The basic question is this. In a complex scene, does it matter a whit whether one crops out part of what's going on in framing the picture or at the editor's desk? Both can censor and bias news?

Asher

Bob Rogers

It doesn't matter where the cropping is performed. Nor does it matter where the exposure is set.

What matters is this: Does the image created through however many choices are made reflect what happened? Does it help the reader of the story to understand what happened (or does it make him think something different happened)?