• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

More BBall with 85mm C&C

20070204BBall_1.jpg

20070204BBall_2.jpg

20070204BBall_3.jpg

20070204BBall_4.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm surprised that f2.0 doesn't blur the b.g. more in the first image.

That image seems cluttered, there's no other competing player, no net and odd feet invading.

So the lens focal length seems to long for this shot with the extra 1.6 factor of your camera.

This is the world of a zoom, I'd think, unless you use a 50mm on a 5D and can then crop on your monitor screen.

I'd even think a 50mm on your camera would be better.

A zoom allows you to track the action and then devote the entire CMOS sensor with the 8 MP to that one chosen field of capture.

In the other images, you also might benefit from a little more inclusion in the compositon.

I do like the second inage.

Asher

Last edited:
Asher,

Good point about the f 2.0 not blurring the backround. I didn't notice that. I'm still trying to use the 85mm. Here are a few from today.

85_1.jpg

85_2.jpg

85_3.jpg

85_4.jpg

Warren

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Warren,

I like some of your action shots, especially the first 3. You are putting in the effort. (I'd love to know how you market and deliver the shots).

The last shot I would hold back unless you had no others of the players. As I said previously, and not being a professional sports shooter, but just one concenred with managing to get the shot, I'd rather shoot wide and crop than to exclude half the ball or an important limb, without which a great shot is ruined.

We are way beyond the days when every pixel mattered. What counts here is not wasting the shot.

Now guys like Nill track action like lions track the one animal in the herd they are about to kill. The aim and timing is great, the focus just right and the make it.

Otherwise hunting lions and photgraphers that frame closely come home with less than they hoped for.

The problem is that the 1.6 factor in the 30 D alread gives a lens capture equivalent of 136mm and this does seem to be a vicious chooper-off of limbs and balls.

So do you have a short focal length lens? A 50 1.8 is a bargain. I know it is sports sacrilage, but you could get all the action then crop to taste.

What do you think?

Asher

Asher,

Believe it or not I just shoot because I enjoy it as a hobby and my daughter is on the team. I've never sold a picture to anyone. I plan on giving the team members an 8x10 collage of them in action at the end of the season (3 weeks from now).

I have the 50mm 1.8 but upgraded to the 85 1.8 as it has been highly recommended here and in other forums for basketball and other indoor photography. Nill has always recommended crop tight but I see your point about not missing the shot and cropping tight in pp.