• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First HS b-ball with Canon 50 f/1.2L

Nill Toulme

So far I'm very happy with it. Subjective impression very favorable in that low light handling & AF performance seem to be better than the 85 f/1.8, which of course puts it at least two steps above the 50 f/1.4. All shots 1DMkII ISO 1600 (should have been 3200 under the basket), 1/400 at f/2.

070105-wabbvb-007_std.jpg

070105-wabbvb-060_std.jpg

070105-wabbvb-068_std.jpg

070105-wabbvb-078_std.jpg

Complete game with EXIF and slideshow here.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nill,

Congrats on your great batch of new action images! They are sharp, the color is beautiful.

I enjoy seeing captures at peak action moments.

The lens is indeed wonderful and is one of my mose useful lenses. With the 5D there's enough pixels plus "zooming by ones feet", to make this lens a good option for an only prime lens to carry around.

Did you crop or are you really positioned close to the basket?

Asher

I'd be interested, after the posts on CF 4 and 18 to know how you were set up and what type focus field did you choose?

Nill Toulme

Asher Kelman said:
Did you crop or are you really positioned close to the basket?
Well, both. I sit right under the basket and it's a small gym. If I stretch my legs out my feet *almost* touch the baseline. But I don't hesitate to crop.

I'd be interested, after the posts on CF 4 and 18 to know how you were set up and what type focus field did you choose?
I usually — almost always — use the center focus point, and did for all shots in this game. CF4-3, manual exposure.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Joel Slack

Love the symmetry of that tip-off shot. It almost seems like you're inside the scrum on some of those! Nice action shots. I imagine the 1.2 gives you some good shutter speeds to work with.

Jim Kenny

Nill - Really like that "War Eagle" wall mural in the first shot - you gonna have much oppertunity to shoot in this gym much this year ?

hope so because you really have a good oppertunity to get a tip off with that mural being a real focus point .... Could the caption be "a basket ball game breaks out at the art show" ?

Mike Collins

So do you think its focus speed is as good as the 85 f/1.8? Is it on par with something like the 24-70L or 70-200L? I have been disappointed with the 50 f/1.4, but like the 85 f/1.8 and love the 135 f/2 and 200 f/1.8. I'd like a good wider sports lens.