• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Not your Spirit of Ecstasy

Looks like the embodiment of bulldog determination to me, Michael. I'll bet the creator of this little mascot had a smile on his or her face when the design was completed.

Michael Nagel

Tom,

Thanks. Yes I can imagine too :)

There is another twist to this:
In German, Bulldog means also tractor in popular language (at least in southern Germany).

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A different sort of car - eh - tractor mascot, just see:

Michael,

This fellow has a lot of care with it's beautiful shiny finish and the inlaid eyes. Is this a personal hood emblem or a commercial brand? I find these so interesting and sorry we don't see more. It's not an easy medium to work with but then, neither is glass and a lot of artisans have their own kilns.

Bronze sculpting seems to be a pretty well a lost community art form! There should be more such "Bulldogs". I wonder why there is such a paucity of modern works by local craftsmen?

I am really in awe of the work from Benin related to the now lost kingdom with exceptional prowess in making fine bronzes.

I'll try to photograph a few modern replicas of ancient votive figures!

Asher