• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Static & Electric (Diptych) - Tate Modern, London '15

Paul Abbott

Always having a mind for a diptych image, since starting a little project of photographs awhile ago (I think they're still on this forum somewhere), I spotted these two scenes at the Tate Modern Art Gallery...

tatemodernstepsamprailings500-horzcombinednormal1024_zpszpt8ezj6.jpg

Static & Electric (Diptych) - Tate Modern, London '15 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR w/ GW3 21mm

Doug Kerr

Hi, Paul,

Always having a mind for a diptych image, since starting a little project of photographs awhile ago (I think they're still on this forum somewhere), I spotted these two scenes at the Tate Modern Art Gallery...

RICOH GR w/ GW3 21mm

Great shots, and a very clever premise.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

RICOH GR w/ GW3 21mm

Paul,

Great diptych. Work so well together as planned through common forms and then in an unexpected and surprising way

Once again, the first object on the left influences that on the right. We recognize stairs descending then assume that we are doing the same on the escalator!

Paul Abbott

Thanks, Doug.

Asher, it's great to find and set these diptychs up, they are a harder proposition though...When it's done right the eye is influenced and constantly seeks a connection or some analogy, even in the simplest of forms. It's brilliant... :)

Asher Kelman

Thanks, Doug.

Asher, it's great to find and set these diptychs up, they are a harder proposition though...When it's done right the eye is influenced and constantly seeks a connection or some analogy, even in the simplest of forms. It's brilliant... :)

Congratulations, Paul. So it was your work!!

I just realized that you took the photographs! I was so moved that I thought that you had liked this work you saw hanging in the Tate and decided to bring it to us. Wow! This another collaboration of the little Ricoh GR with the 21mm add-on lens!

Mine got lost and I have to replace it - but the A7R seems so small anyway and I have a Zeiss 18mm and a vintage Canon 21mm. Still, I could get another GR if they come out with a new version.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hahahaha...yeah, it sure is. I'm happy it's had a greater effect on you though... :)
I'm so sorry to hear about you losing that GR of yours. Did you leave it in a public place somewhere? Otherwise, I would have thought it's quite hard to lose a camera like that.

Anyway, i'm wondering what sort of an offering RICOH are proposing next? Although, I think the GR is a perfect little camera, it don't need to be superceded...especially that 21mm unit, it's fantastic.

Asher Kelman

Hahahaha...yeah, it sure is. I'm happy it's had a greater effect on you though... :)
I'm so sorry to hear about you losing that GR of yours. Did you leave it in a public place somewhere? Otherwise, I would have thought it's quite hard to lose a camera like that.

Anyway, i'm wondering what sort of an offering RICOH are proposing next? Although, I think the GR is a perfect little camera, it don't need to be superceded...especially that 21mm unit, it's fantastic.

Yes, sadly it's either at Walt Disney concert Hall, where pictures are not allowed, or else at a location for a Thanksgiving bash. either way, it's vanished.

Still have my GXR, but it's not the same!

The 21mm mounted on the GR is pretty damn rectilinear and sharp as a tack!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Sad to hear, Asher...

Your like me in your regard to the 21mm...I personally think that it's par for any wide-angle lens of this nature, if not better. It is tack sharp and rectilinear. My only beef with it is that it's prone to a little flare. I still haven't found a decent hood that works with it and in my estimation it will need to be a big hood, around 90mm-ish in circumference screwed onto a 72mm or bigger step-up ring...It starts to get nuts with the size and depth needed. I might be exaggerating the size, but not by much.

Robert Watcher

Nice clean lines and composition. Paul. Both images work well.

With my Olympus 35mm film cameras (which I used in the 80's and 90's) - for wide angle shots my Zuiko 21mm f3.5 was an incredible lens, well used, and a favourite. I long for the same focal length for micro 4/3, but will have to wait I guess. 24mm isn't the same for me.

Paul Abbott

Thanks, Nicolas. Thanks, Robert.
Nicolas, it's a small world eh? Interesting to hear that your at the gallery. It used to be Bankside Power Station but l think you know that. I wish they were using the building's main space a lot more, it just seems to be a forlorn area...
You might have an understanding of what l had to go through on that escalator in making sure it was a quiet moment without anyone coming down on the other side. Eight times l had to go up and down it... :)

Robert, the 21mm is a very useful WA eh...just right in my books, without getting too extreme. It's good to use it on the street too...lt can always be put to great use one way or another.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Thanks, Nicolas. Thanks, Robert.
Nicolas, it's a small world eh? Interesting to hear that your at the gallery. It used to be Bankside Power Station but l think you know that. I wish they were using the building's main space a lot more, it just seems to be a forlorn area...
You might have an understanding of what l had to go through on that escalator in making sure it was a quiet moment without anyone coming down on the other side. Eight times l had to go up and down it... :)

Robert, the 21mm is a very useful WA eh...just right in my books, without getting too extreme. It's good to use it on the street too...lt can always be put to great use one way or another.

Ah! yes, I can imagine the patience needed to get these places with nobody!

I only had a few hours to visit the Tate (I came for another event, the London Superyacht show) and I'll have to revisit with more time.

I particularly loved to se the Rothko "room" and of course the magnificent work of Louise Bourgeois (the prints!)

As for the 21mm I don't have one, should be on my wish list but all goes for the 645 Z!

FYI, I will have 12 images displayed with Gallery One at Photo Independent, among these 4 were shot with the GR!

nicolas claris

Paul,

Great diptych. Work so well together as planned through common forms and then in an unexpected and surprising way

Once again, the first object on the left influences that on the right. We recognize stairs descending then assume that we are doing the same on the escalator!

Of course it does influence, but we all have not the same relation with images and the way they are shown! (and that is a pretty good thing!)
For me, "I" see both stairs ascending!

Asher Kelman

Of course it does influence, but we all have not the same relation with images and the way they are shown! (and that is a pretty good thing!)
For me, "I" see both stairs ascending!

If so, Nicolas, then what surface becomes the ceiling? The landing between the two sets of stairs prevent that first image being reversed as the brain ant explain that!

You might, OTOH, imagine going up those stairs or down those stairs, but I cannot see how the first image could be reversed.

Asher

nicolas claris

If so, Nicolas, then what surface becomes the ceiling? The landing between the two sets of stairs prevent that first image being reversed as the brain ant explain that!

You might, OTOH, imagine going up those stairs or down those stairs, but I cannot see how the first image could be reversed.

Asher

"I" just see it as if "I" were on top of it, looking down…
On the other image, I feel being down, looking up!