• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A chilly ride

Jarmo Juntunen

Well. Finally winter arrived to the South of Finland.

Särkäniemi, Finland

_img1280.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thank you Cem!

_img1280.jpg

Jarmo,

This looks so fabulous and exceptionally peaceful in monochrome. The structure in white looks like it belongs to a family of giant snowflakes! This is exceptionally apt for a winter scene, as bleached of color, it becomes silent too. There is now no noise of the accordion or speaker music or the yells of excited merrimakers and excited kids!

Still, beacause of the very essence of an entertaining ride is the color and music, (the latter of which we have to just imagine), we would definitely also enjoy a color version too. Such traditional
merrigorounds have such beautiful decorative pictures all around them.

Asher Kelman

Although I'm with Jerome on this one, I'm more than happy to provide the original:

_img1280.jpg

Thank you, Jarmo,

This "unbleached" version brings us the lineage of fabulous spirit-lifting workmanship. Perhaps there's a loss in language intent when anyone might imagine my request for this disparages, in the slightest, the notion that "The monochome presentation does not need to be altered!"

These are very different and separate works of art, each worthy for its own qualities. The colored version provides more of a window to the craft and tradition of the merrigorounds found in fairs and markets across Europe and also brought to the New World.

This one, you have discovered, is bestowed with delicate colors, (as opposed to the high contrast versions I am used to seeing). To me, this is another delightful new experience and I thank you for sharing.

_img1280.jpg

The monochrome has a perfect fit and its own identity. In no way is their any built-in hint that your B&W image needs the slightest changes! Certainly it has no need for color!

"Introduce me to her sister" does not disparage the first daughter. Rather the beauty of the first invites inquiry about her siblings!

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Asher, thank you for your thorough comment! The light has a very soft tone to it on a cold December day. This does make the colour version look bleached.

We got season's tickets to our kids. Can't wait till summer!

Jarmo Juntunen

Jarmo,

Lucky kids. What other rides are there? Interesting history here of carousels, another here. I wonder how the first merrigorounds were powered? Could it be they were ever handcranked continuously?

Asher

Särkänniemi is a large area with a great variety of rides. Most of which I dont't dare to take. Good thing the kids are old enough to take most of them alone.

Asher Kelman

Thanks, Jarmo, for bringing these special photographs to us.

Are you making a series. This has a special tranquility as we know about the fun and excitement and candy floss. That's what makes it especially silent for contemplation.

Asher