• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photographic Gems of Our Times From The Web Hannu Pakarinen - 100 Finns in 100 Years

Jarmo Juntunen

This might please Jarmo:
Hannu Pakarinen made a series of 100 Finns in 100 Years to celebrate the 100 years of Finnish Independence.

Have fun!

Michael

Thanks Michael! Well, it does indeed. I'm familiar with Pakarinen's series and I think it's simply great. Tomorrow is the 100th Independece Day, lots of interesting events everywhere. I hope to squeeze some photography into my busy schedule.

Well, here's one interesting projects to all you lovers of light:
http://suomifinland100.fi/project/luminous/?lang=en

Jarmo

Jarmo Juntunen

Impressive, Michael!

I like in particular how he uses architecture and agriculture to frame his subjects so well.

Asher

Agreed. Asher, or anyone else for that matter, how well do you feel you can relate to this work? I, as a Finn, see the intentions he had in mind, his depiction of the Finnish mindscape (whatever that might be). I'm just curious to know how other nationalities see Pakarinen's work.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I would need to understand the Finnish mindset better.

It was said of Grammy Award-winning Finnish conductor Esa-Pekka Salonen, if a He looks at his shoes he is an introvert, if he looks at your shoes, OTOH, he's a blazing extrovert!

Is that true at all?

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Asher, I think that is both the stereotype of a Finn and the being we have been told we are. If you are to believe the papers and tv, we are a) very shy, b) extremely concerned to know how other people see us, c) hate small talk, d) love alcohol and sauna. I, or many of the people I know either by friendship, education or occupation do not fall into any of those categories, with the exception of probably d). Sure, we do not enjoy small talk but that does not make us rude or shy (which is what many foreigners think at a first glance). An American I happen to know once told me that he was told the Finns are cold and unfriendly. After having spent some time here he said he had found the opposite to be true. We are a relatively large country with very long distances and small population, so I suppose "nice weather today" was not probable not the first thing Finns of the old thought first when encountering a stranger, lol! And many of us are greatly proud of Esa-Pekka Salonen and even more of our National hockey team, of which I prefer the first.

Michael Nagel

Sorry if this thrashes this thread - hope it doesn't offend. If yes I will remove it as long as I can edit.

A few former colleagues at work are from Finland. I appreciated working with them and I cannot subscribe the 'shy' stereotype. It is just that there are not many words needed and a moment of silence can be way more talkative than many words...

Did I mention sisu yet?

As the nominees for the foreign language Academy Awards will be announced soon:

There is the work of Touko Laaksonen that should be mentioned, better known as Tom of Finland. The film about his life was submitted for the next Oscar nominations. There were stamps in 2014 (more on metafilter).

From my experience - never think in stereotypes...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sorry if this thrashes this thread - hope it doesn't offend. If yes I will remove it as long as I can edit.

A few former colleagues at work are from Finland. I appreciated working with them and I cannot subscribe the 'shy' stereotype. It is just that there are not many words needed and a moment of silence can be way more talkative than many words...

Did I mention sisu yet?

There is the work of Touko Laaksonen that should be mentioned, better known as Tom of Finland. The film about his life was submitted for the next Oscar nominations. There were stamps in 2014 (more on metafilter).

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

Thinking in stereotypes can have survival benefits, at least here in Los Angeles and in who's territory one wanders! Folk who ignore this, do so at their peril! Still, in our personal or business affairs, we must give every qualified person a chance for share of opportunities.

It was Essa Pekka who told us directly that story about the shoes, LOL, my wife reminded me of the speech!

As to Sisu, the dogged determination is seen in a number of nationalities with different wrappings. The Fins have it with few words, the Germans with meticulous obsessional planning, the British as careful planning, but by college cricket and drinking friends, the Israelis with chutzpah!

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Did I mention sisu yet?

Best regards,
Michael

Hi Michael, I don't see why this post should trash the thread at all! I felt the original post was made to wish us a happy 100th Independence Day. Mentioning Mr Aaltonen, Tom of Finland, is a great addition. His work meant and means so much to so many and him gaining more and more respect also outside the gay community in Finland only shows we are an open and advanced society. And sisu... yes, we are said to have it but as Asher demonstrates in his post, so do many other nations.

Michael Nagel

Hi Jarmo,

Glad you appreciated. It is just that despite the impact of his work, people still manage to be offended...

Thinking of cultural impact - Aki Kaurismäki should be mentioned. I like his work.

Best regards
Michael