• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Leica M9..why the silence on OPF?

fahim mohammed

I am surprised that even though for the first time ever, a digital full frame ( 35mm ) rangefinder has been
introduced to the market place and no mention of it here at OPF!

I also know at least one OPF forum member contributes to discussions re: RFs on other forums.

This introduction is no small feat. Kodak deserves all credit for having surmounted the technical challenges by creating the sensor in the M9. Only last year it was said, it could not be done!

Hopefully now the M9 will allow Leica lenses, arguably the best made for 35mm format photography by
any manufacturer, to really shine in the digital world.

Well done Leica and Kodak.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Fahim,

I have been sitting on my hands, waiting for others to chime in. The M9 seems to be a very interesting camera. I am curious how the IQ will really look like. The preview images posted at DPreview do not give a good impression yet.

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

I've also been waiting for someon else to start the discussion:)

I did wonder if you would get Fahim (or Ken). I had a look at some images yesterday and the DP review images are not very good really - purple fringing and not as crisp as I'd have expected. Jonathan Slack also has some images up, that appear better than DP reviews.

It looks to be a very interesting camera and one that I'd enjoy - apart from anything else it would save on scanning time! I will wander along to one of the local Leica dealers in the next couiple of weeks, with an SD card, and take some pictures. I thnk it needs to be very close to the 1Ds3 to justify purchase, not complainign about the price really thogh. I thought it would be more and that would have closed the book on it for me.

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

I've answered you question, here.

Mike,

Thanks for the link to Jonathan's pictures. He's a proven Leica user whereas for the DPReview reviewer, this is a relatively new tool.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jono is also a very nice guy and a talented photographer in his own right. I have always admired his work.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

I don't know him, but I've looked at his site from time to time and always liked his work and approach. I hadn't realised that he was as well known as that!

Mike