• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Question:Dibond Mounting

James Lemon

Has anyone used Dibond mounting for prints? If so what are the liabilities, is it a good system for archival purposes? What is your overal experience of them?

Thank you for any feedback!
James

Has anyone used Dibond mounting for prints? If so what are the liabilities, is it a good system for archival purposes? What is your overal experience of them?

Thank you for any feedback!
James

I haven't but I believe Nicolas Claris has. If he misses your post, you could try to message him about it.
:) Maggie

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have substantial experience. You need to use a service that uses a cement membrane which functions perfectly at warm temperatures. Certain European methods of fixing the print to the Dibond fail at 85 degrees Fahrenheit. From what I have seen the print peels away and is not soiled with any residue of the glue material. So theoretically, one can remount the print on new Dibond.

My source is very reliable and works well on a variety of papers.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I have substantial experience. You need to use a service that uses a cement membrane which functions perfectly at warm temperatures. Certain European methods of fixing the print to the Dibond fail at 85 degrees Fahrenheit. From what I have seen the print peels away and is not soiled with any residue of the glue material. So theoretically, one can remount the print on new Dibond.

My source is very reliable and works well on a variety of papers.

Asher
Hi James,

Asher refers to a problem I had with some prints made on Hanemülle paper…
This is the first time I used this paper and won't again.

I've had hundreds (yes hundreds) prints on satin or glossy paper (200/300 g/sqm) glued on 2mm Dibond covered with a protecting satin film.
I have always been happy with these, some are still on wall for many years (one in my office is at least 6 years old).
Some labs do propose to print directly on Dibond. It is less expensive but the quality is not the same (they don't use the same printer.)

Also, the lab I work with for 15 years (Dupon) uses HP printers (can't tell which ones).
Previously I used Lambda prints with the same system on Dibond, but i do prefer now the results by the HP inkjet printers.

Despite my bad experience with the Hannemüle paper (and a different lab than Dupon) I do recommend Dibond.
It does not bend with temp, it is very stable. The only thing to care about is the corners, if you bend them, the real only solution is to cut the Dibond (with a circular saw at a wood workshop)…

Hope it helps…

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

Can you find out what the material that was used by Dupon for getting the two surfaces to adhere? Is there a sheet of material that is put between the print and the Dibond? what is that material. I will then check what we use here on the Bangladesh boat I had mounted which is fine.

What paper is the printed on?

Asher

James Lemon

Maggie, Asher, Nicolas

Much appreciated ! I currently use Silver gelatin prints Ilford Fibre based paper framed with a matt and ultra view glass. I am considering this Dibond process by the same people that make my prints. They say that it is dimensionally stable and tough. Double sided archival aluminum with a polyethylene core that will not bow. It's half the weight of the same thickness of Aluminum sheets and is supposed to be extremely rugged.

Dibond® is a composite display material made of two thin sheets of archival quality aluminum with a poly resin core. A lightweight alternative to solid aluminum, only 1/3 the weight. Dibond® comes with a white coating, which gives your photos a smooth clean look.

James

nicolas claris

Maggie, Asher, Nicolas

Much appreciated ! I currently use Silver gelatin prints Ilford Fibre based paper framed with a matt and ultra view glass. I am considering this Dibond process by the same people that make my prints. They say that it is dimensionally stable and tough. Double sided archival aluminum with a polyethylene core that will not bow. It's half the weight of the same thickness of Aluminum sheets and is supposed to be extremely rugged.

Dibond® is a composite display material made of two thin sheets of archival quality aluminum with a poly resin core. A lightweight alternative to solid aluminum, only 1/3 the weight. Dibond® comes with a white coating, which gives your photos a smooth clean look.

James

Hi James
I confirm all tech infos there.
I would make a test first of the same file (or a part of) printed direct on Dibond and on paper (glossy or satin laminated paper to see if the result of the print direct on Dibond match your expectation…

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

What is the name of the adhesive "glue" sheet that is put between the Dibond and your Hahnemuhle paper. I used Hahnemuhle paper with Dibond and it didn't come off in the heat.

So it may be that we are using different adhesives!

Asher

nicolas claris

Nicolas,

What is the name of the adhesive "glue" sheet that is put between the Dibond and your Hahnemuhle paper. I used Hahnemuhle paper with Dibond and it didn't come off in the heat.

So it may be that we are using different adhesives!

Asher

I have no idea.
The shop is closed (over) now…

James Lemon

Hi James
I confirm all tech infos there.
I would make a test first of the same file (or a part of) printed direct on Dibond and on paper (glossy or satin laminated paper to see if the result of the print direct on Dibond match your expectation…

Hello Nicolas

Thank you for the reassurance and feedback.. greatly appreciated!

James

Last edited by a moderator:

nicolas claris

It would be great to know so I can remount your prints. What kind of Hanemuelle paper was it? Baryta perhaps?

Maybe on Monday the shop will have info. That would be most helpful.

Ashwr

Hi Asher

got the infos…

Paper: Hanhnemühle ultra smooth bright 305g. 100% cotton
Glue: 3M colle définitive:
French ref.
US Ref. could be

Antonio Correia

I am in London's airport and I do not have the time to tell you much more but, I just received when I was about to fly from Portugal two modest prints 30*50 cm printed in Digigraphy using Diasec method.
I just had a quick glimpse on the boot of my daughter's car but they looked fabulous.
Both are certified Digigraphy prints.

Before I sent them to print I visited the shop and I have been talking to the owner. there I was able to see some gorgeous prints some using reflective plexiglass - I am not sure if that is the right name for it - and some non reflective surfaces. Just gorgeous !

Now, I hope to be able to afford some Diasec prints !

Perhaps it is rather difficult to get Diasec prints in US but here we can get them easily !! LOL
You can send your files to print in Portugal and he will be able to return the prints in perfect conditions !
Want the contact ? No commission involved !
He sends prints to Canada or US. Correctly packed !