• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nadine

A few from yesterdays session.

Model : Nadine

Nadine_3_October_2010_-_37.jpg

Nadine_3_October_2010_-_57.jpg

Nadine_3_October_2010_-_41.jpg

Nadine_3_October_2010_-_15.jpg

More on www.frankdoorhof.com

MvrGr.
Frank

Hi Frank,

Good stuff, as usual. Did Nadine bring part of her extensive wardrobe again, or did you supply it?
The set looks nice.

No. 1 looks a bit too cool (colorbalance) for my taste, but was probably what you intended.
I like no. 2 for its pose and expression, maybe a bit more side lighting would have added drama.
It's also different because it's a full body shot, but no. 3 is also nice.
No. 4 is too close to the edge of the frame for my taste.

Thanks for sharing,
Bart

Thanks Bart,
The colors are indeed always a bit blueish with me, I love that look, but that can always change of course :D

No4. I actually had no choice and decided to make it as close as possible for that reason, the wall simply ends there, I experimented with placement of the chair but somehow loved that really "edgy" shot.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Frank,

This is indeed a package of great style! Once again, we feel elated and entertained by a solid dose of your art. I was going to remark that you photography is consistent, but I do notice a progression style over the years, especially photographing Nadine

Nadine_3_October_2010_-_37.jpg

Here you have successfully made one of the darkest images I have seen from you. The success in not letting it fall into an abyss of ugliness is Nadine's beauty that we know and the gentle roll off the the lateral lighting which is your hallmark. But, here there's also something else at work. You are now cropping much closer. That occurs a lot today in fashion. However, you are getting more aggressive, it seems and there are complaints yet from me!

Thanks again for giving us a share of your work!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Frank,

Being such a skilled photographer, it's hard to find important points where you have gone astray. Here then, I'm looking far harder at your work to see where we can question what you do and ourselves learn more for our own work. So the points I raise do not mean I have lost my addiction to your work. Rather I think we can learn even more from you by explanations of some of your decisions that go against our own expectations for design.

I'm very interested in the effect of lighting on the the eye makeup here. Was it only a change of light?

Nadine_3_October_2010_-_57.jpg

The badger-eyes are extreme. While it could go with some particular story, over the top and playfully bizarre, I really wonder about the hardness of the black, making the eyes a key feature of caricature of an actress modeling in an amateur play or humorous and "Saturday night Live" or other political satire sketch.

You picture # 3, however, returns us to the classical elegance of both Nadine and your lighting.

Nadine_3_October_2010_-_41.jpg

This is more of the Vintage Doorhoff, (excluding, of course to spattering of models leaping into the air, LOL!)

As Bart points out, this next composition's asymmetry and severe cropping might have been taken to far.

Nadine_3_October_2010_-_15.jpg

Frank,

This image is worth revisiting as the pose itself is both engaging and attractive but the placement of borders constrains this. Still, it's rich Nadine and your lighting of her that works despite the noted setbacks.!

Let me go further on this, if I may. To me, at least, the lack of space above and below her and to the right does not build a space for her "trapped at one end", but rather the lack of space, not the image, speaks to us as a dominant characteristic. When that happens, when one is aware of the steps the artist took, then one must ask about that. All this should be invisible to us. We should be allowed to just empathize with her and not be aware of what you have done. So, it might be worthwhile looking at the borders again again.

Still, of course, you can get away with doing nothing more, as your work is that good, anyway!

Asher

Hi,
Nadine always has a touch of the more bizarre, I love that about her, so we always try to also do some expressions like the sitting shot, I personally actually love that one the most of the session.

The one with the close crop.
Well, yeah.
You could argue about that, for me however in this case it was a simple case of not having too much space on the right, and I tried of course a different setting a few moments later but I kept going back to this one, for me it just was the strongest and somehow I loved the very tight crop.

Heck that's why photography is so much fun, we all differ in opinions :D