• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Color Changing Fountain in Zrenjanin

Emil Sipos

Just a week ago I have purchased my first digital camera. For the first time I have seen so many different settings and functions so I have decided to take few photos of one color changing fountain in Zrenjanin.

Here are few photos that I have made:

Color Changing Fountain in Zrenjanin - Photo 14
by emilex from Fliiby
Settings:
Exposure: 5 sec at f/14
Focal Length: 28 mm
ISO Speed Rating: ISO 800
Lens: E PZ 16-50 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Camera: Sony a6000

Color Changing Fountain in Zrenjanin - Photo 13
by emilex from Fliiby
Exposure: 5 sec at f/14
Focal Length: 42 mm
ISO Speed Rating: ISO 250

Color Changing Fountain in Zrenjanin - Photo 09
by emilex from Fliiby
Settings:
Exposure: 30 sec at f/9
Focal Length: 40 mm
ISO Speed Rating: ISO 100

Since it is first time that I have tried to make few night, long exposure photographs I hope that you will help me a little bit with advice's to improve them. In my folder I have uploaded 16 photographs, so if you have time check all of them.

Thank you all :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Glad to have you post your most challenging pictures. Your gallery has many well made images, but these are the ones requiring the most effort.

First, you picked a difficult task. There's a bright fountain changing colors and very less well let wide background with a church, shrubs and more. It's the wide angle view that perhaps is required to give contact to the fountain. Any one color doesn't fully represent the multicolored fountain. Making it even harder, the fountain itself doesn't have much complexity to add interest in its shape, especially if it gets overexposed and the details blown.

I'd get all these pictures and try to build one coherent image.

Asher

Emil Sipos

Well, I have tried to combine somehow pictures of a few different images, but when I try to get something in Lightroom, that fountain looks even worse than you could imagine :D

Thank you so much for your answer. Really appreciate that :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, I have tried to combine somehow pictures of a few different images, but when I try to get something in Lightroom, that fountain looks even worse than you could imagine :D

Thank you so much for your answer. Really appreciate that :)

This is actually taken best in B&W to first get the composition right. Ignore thew colors as these are a great example of a distraction to making art that is spellbinding. Color is so extreme in pushing and pulling our heart strings, LOL! First the composition and structure of the image, where the weights of the elements create some undeniable completeness, complementarity, mood or other feeling.

Then on can have color or not. It will make a profound difference and even unbalance the entire composition, but then one learns and tries something different.

It would be great if you could return to the fountain and start with B&W with a bracketed exposure. You need several that are really underexposed to articulate the form of the water fountain and spray. You could also do a slow motion capture, if that's your test, (it's not mine), but it's worth experimenting with.

The main scene, the milieux that gives relevance to the fountain, needs to be shot, perhaps at night when empty and perhaps with couples and mothers with babies around and if your lucky a dog getting a drink. Such shots add community as a possible part of your compositional elements.

The mistake is to focus of the bright, ever changing, garish colors, as they make it impossible to get a decent picture.

Excuse my "opinion-ating", but I know how hard this type of picture is to bring home to a two-dimensional static form. As a video, it would be so much easier to bring to us the splendor and fun you experience right there, every time!

Asher

Jessica Little

Like everyone else in the thread's been saying you should be commended for showing off such challenging photographs. I think I like number 9 the best, mostly for the bright purple. You manage to have the fountain looking modern and almost psychedelic in front of an old church, I think its really cool. Almost like a steampunk wedding. The other pics are just as nice to look at but without something in the background the scene doesn't seem as lively to me. My opinions aside, your clearly a great photographer whose only going to get better.