• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

6x7 Pinhole Camera! Favorite Tree, here's mine! Now where's yours?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well this is Kodak 160 NC-2film, 6x7 format, just a simple lab 6MP commercial scan 8BIT TIFF and curves and sharpened. Not cropped. Not corrected for distortion or bright b.g. Don't let that worry you for now :)

27860001MyBestTree.jpg

© 2007 Asher Kelman My Favorite Tree, Los Angeles 2007

Hope you like my tree!

Anyway I'm sentimental about doing film and thought this was a good subject for the pinhole camera i'm testing! :)

Asher

Last edited:

JimCollum

pro member
this is a great tree.. as well as image. i have a collection of pinholes i haven't set up to use yet.. plan is to use them with the Betterlight (i know.. sort of obscene :)

have you seen any of the work by martha casanave ? excellent examples of not need the latest in technology to create beautiful images

Asher Kelman

this is a great tree.. as well as image. i have a collection of pinholes i haven't set up to use yet.. plan is to use them with the Betterlight (i know.. sort of obscene :)

have you seen any of the work by martha casanave ? excellent examples of not need the latest in technology to create beautiful images

Jim,

That is humbling! Martha Casanvae's work here is breathtaking and technically impressive. My first experience with her work. It's good to have challenges!

pin2thumb.jpeg

© Martha Casanvae editoral comment use

Her work has a very personal quality and shows care and simple but interpretable images with sensuality, beauty and quiet respect for people and nature.

Asher

Last edited:

JimCollum

pro member
which camera are you testing?

i know what you mean about martha's work.. i look at work like that, and at times just want to hang up my camera.. :)

Asher Kelman

Hi Jim,

The Motweiller 6x9. I'm writing it up and should have it online son. What amazes me is that without a fviewfinder, just knowing the capture angle of the camera, one can frame perefectly as time has stopped. This is a truly relaxed way of doing photography.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I decided to exp[lore this after visiting the Large Format Forum and seeing threads like this.

Five:

75mm, 90mm, 150mm, 210mm, 300mm

(Guess I'm just a little bigger than average ..... :))

It occured to me that we needed to get away from "ownerism" of camera equipment and try to simplify things. Not that simpler picture making can replace fine modern systems for fashion of architecture, however, for one's artistic side, it's worthwhile.

Asher

Not too often myself, but occasionally. I haven't done anything interesting with a pinhole recently. I made a couple of pinhole shots at the f:295 gathering at B&H that I wrote up, but the images weren't anything to write home about.

Are you still using the Motweiller?

Jack_Flesher

Hi Asher: AWESOME tree shot, I like it a lot -- congrats! I like pinhole too, but unfortunately don't have enough time to experiment fully with it. Still have a set of pinholes and recently bought a bellows for my 645 camera for allowing variable focal length pinhole :)

Cheers,

charlie chipman

Amazing tree Asher, and the pinhole camera looks great too. Is that santa monica blvd I see in the background?

I have not done pinhole photography but have wanted to try the hole in the body cap trick as mentioned above.

Asher Kelman

Yes, Charlie,

That's Santa Monica Blvd and the gold-domed building is Beverly Hills City Hall. The tree is located on a strip of parkland on the North side of Santa Monica Boulevard. There's a section with cacti another with grass covering many blocks. People love the magnificent tree-line walking and jogging track. There are sculptures from the City of Beverly Hills art collection. The latter is financed by an Art tax on all new commercial construction. They rotate the collection.

Several times a year there is an "Art in the Park" show which is very well attended and includes a lot of fine photography with a ton of sales.

Anyway this tree is one that I have a special attachment too and somehow feel I have rights to!

Asher

Eddie Gunks

Hi all,

i have a few pinhole tree photos.

#1 and 2 are 4x5 negs with a 25mm "focal length" .

#3 is the same tree with a 75mm FL

1.jpg

© Eddy Gunks

2.jpg

© Eddy Gunk

3.jpg

© Eddy Gunk
I used foma 100 and hc110.

Eddie

Asher Kelman

Issue of using flat film planes!

Eddie,

Your contributions are so appreciated! I personally feel that pinhole and dot lens photography add unique ways of imaging.

I like the effect of the implosion of interest from the periphery inwards to make the core of the subject stand out so well. It's sudden and dramatic.

1.jpg

© Eddy Gunks

This first picture has the central area imaged as we might expect. However the periphery is streaked where spherical plane of focus cuts into the plane of the 4x5 film which being orthogonal to the optical axis, only approximates the focal plane at its center. The edges of the rectangular piece of film receive light from a virtual plane of focus. By the time the light travels to the film behind the curved focal plane, the image gets stretched.

So this accounts for the aberration we see in radial streaking of the image and also vignetting. However, we should be able to correct this and make an orthogonal image that is not distorted. I wonder what software would do it?

2.jpg

© Eddy Gunk

In this picture, the effect of the lens with a flat film makes the tree, (shaped like a man) appear to jump to life. This would not perhaps happen with a spherical film surface, but I'm not sure!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Well this is Kodak 160 NC-2film, 6x7 format, just a simple lab 6MP commercial scan 8BIT TIFF and curves and sharpened. Not cropped. Not corrected for distortion or bright b.g. Don't let that worry you for now :)

27860001MyBestTree.jpg

© 2007 Asher Kelman My Favorite Tree, Los Angeles 2007

Hope you like my tree!

Anyway I'm sentimental about doing film and thought this was a good subject for the pinhole camera i'm testing! :)

Asher

Yes, I like your tree. As a matter of fact I love this tree. So much so that I want to climb it!!
It is a tree one grows with.

I think it is wonderfully sentimental capture. Dare I suggest..a labor of love. I feel a closeness to this tree. Good trees, like good friends, are very hard to come by these days.

I also find it humorous that the building on the left competes for my attention..in vain!

I have never even seen a pin-hole camera.

This is a very very good shot Asher.

Regards.