• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Underground Stations have their own beauty

The colors are amazing, Michael, and each photo is a joy. Thanks for sharing these and I'm looking forward to seeing the results of further explorations.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

These are outstanding compositions and that makes them excel. Of course the artists who designed them were pretty talented.

Asher

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi Michael, servus,

outstanding views on remarkable situations. The first one is near to an expressionistic interpretation of a guitar ... Picasso would have been pleased.

John Wolf

Wonderful, Michael. Thanks. I especially like 1 and 2 for there simpler, stonger design and large color forms. The blue in the second is special.

These make the Chicago "L" and Metra stations look Middle Ages. Although I'm sure there is some charm there, too, on a careful look.

John

Asher Kelman

Michael,

All these are examples of exceptional photographs of great public art. How easy is it to screw up taking such shots. Can you dig up examples where your intent did not come through?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Tom - thanks, I put this series together for the colors. I also have b/w captures, I am curious on your take on these.

Asher - thanks, the last two were achieved without cropping, the second is slightly cropped, the first heavily, but this was clear when shooting that I could not do otherwise.

Wolfgang - thanks. I did not think of the guitar, but now as you suggested it. A long time ago I went to visit the Musée Picasso in Paris. I remember that visit fondly, not only for the work shown, but also for the way the work was shown. There was a simple, but appealing statue of a cat. It was exposed on floor level next to a door and not on a pedestal. It was simply there where you could expect a cat. Picasso had an amazing way to see things.

Helène - thanks. The station seen in the second photo has so many different views and this one is indeed warming.

John - thanks. Most Underground stations have some charm when you look, in Munich there are also some ugly ones...

Asher - my kudos go to the Artists who designed these stations. Yes, it is easy to screw up such a shot and it happened to me quite a few times (a great occasion to learn each time). Here are two shots. the first shows (in my eyes) a reasonable realization of a contrast - standstill - motion. I hoped to do the same, but with reversed roles the second time, but I missed.

Here are both:

I will add a few more successful ones (I hope) afterwards.

Best regards,
Michael

Jarmo Juntunen

Michael, a very enjoyable series of well composed photos. This is a very interesting project and probably fun to go along. I've always admired photographers who see beauty in things that surround them and don't need a special set-up for their work.

fahim mohammed

Michael, beautiful presentations. Extremely well composed. Lovely color and light management.

A delight to view.

Best regards.

Antonio Correia

Michael, beautiful presentations. Extremely well composed. Lovely color and light management. A delight to view. Best regards.

I agree completely with Fahim. :)

I also like the idea of capturing either the movement of people or the movement of the train fascinating.

You do have "material" for s great series. :)

Good and nice work again. From the Architects, designers etc and yourself. :)

Michael Nagel

Jarmo - thanks. Yes - I expand this series from time to time. There are, however, stations which are not beautiful like the shown. Taking good shots fom these would be the real thing.

Fahim - thank you. I enjoyed taking these photos and I am pleaesed to see when others see through my eyes and are pleased.

Antonio - thanks. Contrary to my initial approach I now tend more an more to include people in my photos. This is an ongoing series, but not a series that is meant to consume every bit of my time.

Ben - thank you.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Jarmo - thanks. Yes - I expand this series from time to time. There are, however, stations which are not beautiful like the shown. Taking good shots fom these would be the real thing.

Michael,

I do hope you cover the "lesser" stations and bring them into the fold. I can imagine that your work with the stunningly modern and well designed spaces will give you a new perspective from which to look again at the other, otherwise, "lesser" locations. Doing that will be really masterful and I so look forward to more seen from those ever refined eyes of yours.

This series is of a high standard and a special treat for us all!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Winston - thank you!

Asher - I already started to cover these stations, but it will take a little time before I will add other stations in this thread. I will have to stop more than once at one of these 'lesser' stations to get a grip and see better.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael, the latest photos create a slight bend in the road for the theme, don't they? A place that shows signs of needing renovation is also showing the effects of the passage of time. The work is very nicely done for these, as usual.

Michael Nagel

Tom, thanks, that bend was intentional and originated from Asher's question if I could include some of the 'lesser' stations.

I will continue with a mix of newer and older stations.

I will focus on stations which will soon be renovated to be able to do the before-after comparison. Currently there is only one (large) planned in the near future, but the comparison will be interesting.

The Munich U-Bahn (Underground) Network is not old, just a little more than 40 years. Now the network has a length of more than 100km and 100 stations. There is a lot more to explore as you can see...

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Winston - thank you.

As a contrast to the previous station, here is a relatively new station (~10y old). The photos were taken 3 1/2 years ago.

I could not resist to play with the colors on this one:

These reflections close to the panel with informations were inviting:

Time to take some more photos.

Best regards,
Michael