Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Layback Cafe

Layback Cafe Let's chat!

Old February 4th, 2017, 02:27 AM

Default Katrin Koenning: indefinitely.

"Indefinitely", a series of pictures from photographer Katrin Koenning:

Indefinitely is a long-term work about love and an attempt at undoing distance. The work is about space created by migration, and the notion that this space is not a vacuum or a void, but rather the creator of new narratives: a space of the imaginary.

I suggest that you check the series directly on her web site. The interest also arises from the series, the way the pictures flow and posting a sample here would not do justice to the project.

http://www.katrinkoenning.com/work/Indefinitely.html

While you are at it, you may also want to read the following articles about Katrin Koenning:
http://cphmag.com/conv-koenning/
http://photothunk.blogspot.de/2017/0...efinitely.html
Old February 4th, 2017, 08:16 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Jerome,

Thanks again for opening our eyes to great art.

While we expect and assume that art must be born from some passion, Katrin's work is from a lifetime of commitment seems to be from a lifelong search to close the gap between "self" and "loss of contact". The subject itself must have evolved and its core conceptualization must have evolved and grown as a living thing as she did, so she had been collaborating with an invisible entity within her that had its own demands, questions and character.

So out of this I perhaps am learning something new about art: authenticity, how it might come about and how it works as an inner compass for Katrin's photographic art.

I think I have it right, but I must visit more and reflect. In any case, I heartily recommend that everyone reads about this extraordinary photographer, Katrin Koenning.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 4th, 2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
While we expect and assume that art must be born from some passion, Katrin's work is from a lifetime of commitment seems to be from a lifelong search to close the gap between "self" and "loss of contact". The subject itself must have evolved and its core conceptualization must have evolved and grown as a living thing as she did, so she had been collaborating with an invisible entity within her that had its own demands, questions and character.

I don't understand what you mean.
Old February 4th, 2017, 02:06 PM

In her description I am reminded of artist Doris Salcedo whose sculptures reference the dissappeared.
Old February 4th, 2017, 02:17 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
I don't understand what you mean.
Jerome.

She has a poignant personal history. The death of Tobias was her "Paul of Tarsus" moment that affected her feelings for the rest of her life.

That loss and subsequent challenges set up a way of thinking that itself became a strong influence, so much so, that it was akin to having a constant companion calling on her to deal with, gaps, separation and loss.

That is simply one point of view and not meant to be some universally true account.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.