• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Jagged

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A play with light, shadows, structure and surface. It was literally on my way.

Michael

This little gift in monochrome shows a flat set of pattern of fence "chicken wire" and angled steel, all as shadows,i over stone, a repeat pattern, like a Scottsman's plaid viewed at an angle.

This reminds me very much of the small but impressive offerings in B&W by Paul Abbott, discovering interesting portions of a bridge support seen through the surrounding fence and here the fence is so jagged like pikes of the guards at the Vatican or the tower of London.

But in your picture, here with the shadows, the image seems more intimate! This is really close, and if it could breathe, my glasses would fog up!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Explain to me folks why you don't linger here. This is rather special in that one sees the simple clarity of vision.

Hello world!

Asher

Paul Abbott

A more overhead view of the steps with a tilted aspect can yield a good angle too and offer up more dynamicity. Yours is a good in it's own 'shadow play' right because the more I look the more it looks like those steps are composited in they're stacked view and my mind just wants to move them and match those shadows up...Nice one.

Jarmo Juntunen

Hi Michael, it's an interesting study as it is, but somehow it leaves me wanting something more. Your work seems to deal a lot with shapes and patterns, even your landscape pictures, so perhaps you could go further with this theme?

Michael Nagel

Hi Paul,

Thanks. Veering away from a too regular pattern was intended. There are some lines that match, but not many.
I had to pay attention not to fall over - these stairs are steep.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Hi Jarmo,

Thanks. You discovered something. I do not focus intentionally on shapes and patterns, this is probably a product of my way to see.

Here is one that focuses intentionally on these aspects.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

A play with light, shadows, structure and surface. It was literally on my way.

Best regards,
Michael

I have often railed against aphorisms like "frame tight and crop closer" as often excluding the "presence of the place" but here you have gone far beyond such brutal framing that I worry about and yet you pull of a satisfying composition that does not need any external reference. This is, it seems that the composition makes sense on its own and is reAlly abstract. We have no need to understand it, just appreciate what's there and how each part plays with another.

This work then is the fruit of being able to isolate some parts from a particular perspective so it lacks nothing but excludes almost everything one could see before the shot.

Hard to do, but very well done.

Asher

Antonio Correia

i-6bZgfpv-X2.jpg

Andy brown

I think it's great that our respective styles find their way into each others' images.
I love it that I can looking through the lens and thinking to myself, "what would Dr Klaus do here, what would Maris be looking for?". I can't replicate their quality but it sure doesn't hurt to channel other OPF members on occasion.