• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Using extremely familiar shapes and objects to evoke select feelings.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I like these, particularly #2. It takes a moment to reveal itself, as it takes a moment for the brain to find the shapes.

Now try using emotionally-neutral subjects (ex: machine screws, pencils, doorknobs, etc.) to create evocative scenes. That is, using extremely familiar shapes (no challenge there) to evoke a particular feeling from the viewer.

Charlotte Thompson

Ken

I am not sure exactly-would you mean in overlays or not?- great idea though
will for sure work for the idea of neutral evocative... well that is a challenge indeed!
definitely something to work toward..thank you

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Ken

I am not sure exactly-would you mean in overlays or not?- great idea though
will for sure work for the idea of neutral evocative... well that is a challenge indeed!
definitely something to work toward..thank you

Use any technique you feel appropriate to accomplish the goal. Overlays, collages, diptychs, triptychs, digital compositing, or just good straight still photography. If you're looking for a truly challenging exercise likely to leave you with valuable new skills this would be it.

Charlotte Thompson

Ken- not sure if this is it yet- using the straw as a common-# 2 the shadow and on the stem the lens and light caught the glass shape itself-very surprising!! the last is glasss and straw upon each other overlay-

collage25.jpg

DSC_1359.jpg

collage322.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Use any technique you feel appropriate to accomplish the goal. Overlays, collages, diptychs, triptychs, digital compositing, or just good straight still photography. If you're looking for a truly challenging exercise likely to leave you with valuable new skills this would be it.

Hi Ken,

Yes, everything you say is correct. I hope Charlotte can follow the path you suggest! I do not know Charlotte well enough. Certainly, it's good to be challenged. However, I am not sure that she can swim in those abstract waters. If she does, I'll take my hat off to you for the encouragement. My impression is that some of us might be better at thinking in areas where we have experience and expressed our emotions and argued about matters that move us. I myself have done a lot of work with inanimate subjects and made from them emotional images. It's very hard and will not even work always with some pictures even with a lot of effort. So if this isn't one's passion, it might not pay off.

Still Charlotte has much experimentation under her belt with faces and now flowers. So that is where it will be easier to work. That's now her home turf.

Charlotte,

Sorry to address my comments through Ken. I don't need to say anything to you just yet as you are on a roll. I'm enjoying your explorations. If you do work as Ken suggests I'm sure you will get payback, however, it must be that this vibrates coherently with your own voice.

Surprise us! Just be very selective in what you post. Make sure you are very, very proud of it.

Asher

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher-

of course I am proud of what I Post-

it is not up to you for my swim-ing
it is up to me.........
this is A learning ...

geesh*
I only want to learn-

LOL

see what night brings-

nothing

not even a shadow-
blood can't bleed
bones crumple
you see-
I can't
there is my caustic smile
that jumps
where
ever....

Charlotte

Rachel Foster

Charlotte, I'm not sure what I think of these images. I do know it takes some familiarity with something to "like" it oftentimes. I'm totally unfamiliar with this sort of image.

I find them complex and somehow strangely evocative. I find them unsettling. Now, I must keep looking til I have familiarity so I can partial out the influence of the unfamiliar and hopefully, what's left will be response to the images themselves.

I'm cautious and careful when rendering opinions. So, do not take my tentativeness amiss. Right now...I think I like them, possibly a great deal. However, I cannot yet articulate my response or teh why of my response.

Will ponder some more.....

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Charlotte, I'm not sure what I think of these images. I do know it takes some familiarity with something to "like" it oftentimes. I'm totally unfamiliar with this sort of image.

I find them complex and somehow strangely evocative. I find them unsettling. Now, I must keep looking til I have familiarity so I can partial out the influence of the unfamiliar and hopefully, what's left will be response to the images themselves.

I agree with Rachel that there's something "unsettling" about these, particlarly the second one. But only just.

The point I was trying to raise in dialogue with Charlotte was that being able to manipulate your viewers' emotions with otherwise emotionally-neutral content is a very valuable skill to develop. Once you're there you can deliberately apply such a strategy in a variety of subtle ways to your images to convey deeper messages. (That's precisely what's going on today in the true "fine art" photography world, some good and some phony.)

Let's take, for example, that seemingly simple second image of Charlotte's (above). An empty beverage glass with a plastic straw sitting on a wicker chair. We get the strong, but unproven, impression that the chair is outdoors on a bright, sunny summer day. We also imagine that the person who drank the beverage may have sat in that chair. The chair itself contains such a strong, high-contrast wicker weave that we also get the soft impression of a patterned and ordered. You see how much inference such a seemingly simple image can convey?

But what if we added subtle elements to that scene? For example, what if the straw was glass instead of plastic? How about a colorful marble sitting at the bottom of the glass in the remaining liquid? A bright red smear of fresh catchup on the chair? You see? These are all emotionally-neutral elements but their placement in this scene adds subtle mystery and depth.

One other way to create subtle "unsettling" impressions in a scene is to frame it in a slightly odd way. For example, I photographed this scene purposely off-center, placing the only overt action (the boy with the football and the tennis player) just a bit tight right. My goal was precisely to add a subtle edginess to an otherwise idyllic image.

95881532.jpg

The possibilities are endless and are worth exploring to hone one's skills at using a camera to convey intended impressions and meanings. I think you'll be surprised at how powerful that image frame can be when you begin to deliberately manipulate its contents.

Just have fun!

Charlotte Thompson

Ken

yes I see what you mean- I see the balance to off balance in the shot which draws the eye to moving and all over-placement indeed works- interesting how the manipulation works here you have managed to take the viewer and actually maniupulate where his-her eyes go-
seemingly simple but not really so-it is an art
the visual here helps me to understand better- thank you- I will try for more learnings to go with the new concept -

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Great!
Now I'll jump in!
As Charlotte knows I'm not a big fan of children and flowers photography, everyone seems to need to say waws and wows, with such subjects (BTW I love kids and flowers) the emotions and motions are biaised…

Listening to Georg Beaumann's music, I feel meself comfortable enough to say that I have to agree with Ken.

I am not a good theorician (not enough school!) but I can feel… and there, with the glass and the chair - and the light - you make me start feeling Charlotte!

Light is bright… as hopeness is…
This new approach is full of hope Charlotte! don't leave it alone…

OTOH, some may like yout o ALSO follow your other work in the other thread…

Wow! you gonna be busy, dear!

Yours faithfully

Charlotte Thompson

Nicolas
so nice to see you in one of my threads
yes I must admit my art photography is a diffrent style but it is also very much me
children can be a challenge to shoot but also extremely rewarding and I like to add the embelleshments whatever they are in overlay to enhance the feelings that I see and try to capture in that childs eyes-
this other excercise is more abstract but what I do with overlays with the children is also abstract in nature- I am working hard for sure-thanks again for coming by-so appreciated

Charlotte

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonsoir Charlotte

I appreciate -How could I can't!- you to welcome me in one of your threads.
I think Ken approach will help you much more than I could, but I'll post my feelings… - Ce que je ressens - when looking at your work here.
Yes,
work with the light
work the light
work for the light
in that order… then,
feel it when you shoot your picture prior to photoshop.
Love has a love/hate affair with the photographer…

Rachel Foster

It's more a case of needing to understand and articulate my response. The complexity and subtlety of evoked emotion is quite startling.

Charlotte Thompson

Nicolas

oh yes art is definetly a love hate thing- but mostly love
it is as an artist and I am sure you know a passion that you cannot-not do
like love "it drives you to the depths of hell and the sweetness of love-
light and dark is a balance to endure for sure-

Rachel

startling evocations of the incantation "art"-

Charles Lupica

I agree with Rachel that there's something "unsettling" about these, particlarly the second one. But only just.

The point I was trying to raise in dialogue with Charlotte was that being able to manipulate your viewers' emotions with otherwise emotionally-neutral content is a very valuable skill to develop. Once you're there you can deliberately apply such a strategy in a variety of subtle ways to your images to convey deeper messages. (That's precisely what's going on today in the true "fine art" photography world, some good and some phony.)

Let's take, for example, that seemingly simple second image of Charlotte's (above). An empty beverage glass with a plastic straw sitting on a wicker chair. We get the strong, but unproven, impression that the chair is outdoors on a bright, sunny summer day. We also imagine that the person who drank the beverage may have sat in that chair. The chair itself contains such a strong, high-contrast wicker weave that we also get the soft impression of a patterned and ordered. You see how much inference such a seemingly simple image can convey?

But what if we added subtle elements to that scene? For example, what if the straw was glass instead of plastic? How about a colorful marble sitting at the bottom of the glass in the remaining liquid? A bright red smear of fresh catchup on the chair? You see? These are all emotionally-neutral elements but their placement in this scene adds subtle mystery and depth.

One other way to create subtle "unsettling" impressions in a scene is to frame it in a slightly odd way. For example, I photographed this scene purposely off-center, placing the only overt action (the boy with the football and the tennis player) just a bit tight right. My goal was precisely to add a subtle edginess to an otherwise idyllic image.

The possibilities are endless and are worth exploring to hone one's skills at using a camera to convey intended impressions and meanings. I think you'll be surprised at how powerful that image frame can be when you begin to deliberately manipulate its contents.

Just have fun!

Ken:
I'm a bit new here but not new to photography and to forums. I see what you're trying to say with this picture of people in a park. But I also don't see anything in the image that sets it apart from any WELL composed image. It adheres in just about every way possible to the "rule of thirds". The family is on the lower power line, the two women are on the left powerline, and the boy, while not exacly on the right powerline, is close enough to draw the eye that way. The images has 1/3 "sky" and 2/3 "foreground". Again, consitent with the "rule of thirds".

That is not to say that good photos must always follow the "rule of thirds", but most of the time it helps. And it helps to know that the human eye is physiologically drawn to that arrangement. As a generalization (I know about generalizations), people find pictures arranged like this to be pleasing.

So, I'm don't disputing what you've said as much as I'm offering a reason why it works.

Charlotte:
The first image I find disturbing because I can't understand the relationship of the elements in the image at first glance. This is good or bad. Confusion is an emotion, and on that level, it works. Technically, the photographs seem to be well done; which is more than I can say about a lot of images I see.

Charlotte Thompson

Charles
for me this is a learning experiment-out of the box" if you will looking at a way of expression in a different way-

here is something now inside the glass I added. I dont know what it will evoke but I am putting it out there-thanks for coming by and adding your thoughts, appreciated

Charlotte

Inside the glass- the grain behind is an overlay of cement where snakes were crawling-its kind of too unclear but the idea is my basic interest-I couldnt make it any clearer in the photo because of the background grrrrr-

collage72.jpg

Michael Fontana

pro member
Inside the glass- the grain behind is an overlay of cement where snakes were crawling-its kind of too unclear but the idea is my basic interest-I couldnt make it any clearer in the photo because of the background grrrrr-

Charlotte, you might use different blend modes - in PS - with the layers. So the snakes might became brighter than the structure behind...

Charlotte Thompson

Michael-

yes I have been trying to find the right blend but as of yet haven't-the snakes photographed on cement- so the background texture a big challenge-still trying but it might be a no show on this one grrrr- though I am still working on it! thanks for the suggestion though very appreciated-

Charlotte

Michael Fontana

pro member
One of the problems might be due to our perception seeing 2 layers both sharp; so you might try to use different °sharpnesses°, by bluring the background - just a example.
The background will become more abstract, then.

Charlotte Thompson

Michael

this is the best I think I can do now-did a blur effect and also 2 other different overlays-dunno
but the cement is hard to get rid of!

collage72-1.jpg

collage682.jpg

collage73.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I think you're on the trail to some interesting imagery, Charlotte. Take care to avoid unintentional humor by avoiding shapes that are commonly used for cliché visual jokes (i.e. light bulbs).

For a fresh perspective on the direction in which you're headed I think you'll be interested to see some of Doug Keye's work.

Charlotte Thompson

Ken

cliche' as a writer I completely understand the hated cliche'-though I didn't think of the light bulb with eyes as that-my thoughts were more on the metaphor level as do I write that way-
"the light in ones eyes caught in the light" thank you for showing me Key's work amazing that!
and thank you for coming back to my work it is greatly appreciated!

Charlotte