• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

512's

Jim Galli

It takes a while to let a new camera find it's voice. I've had several failures so far with this one but last evening I did these four shots around our town and was quite pleased.

Window_1s.jpg

window i

The 5X12 format was the smallest of the so called banquet cameras of the 1910's thru '30's. I've installed a new bellows on this one and applied some good old elbow grease. It is gorgeous to behold and pure pleasure (if you're me) in use.

ElmS.jpg

tortured elm

Soft focus is an acquired taste. Rather like strong coffee. We don't start out liking it. In fact we normally say to ourselves I will never ever like that stuff. Then we grow, we change....

GMC100s.jpg

GMC100

About now either your eyes are watering or you've got a little tickle of excitement for these. The lens is an 1860's Darlot landscape meniscus of about 12" focal length. It was never intended to be used wide open as I have here. Stopped to about f16 it's presentably sharp and at f32 it is sharp.

window_22s.jpg

window ii

In this last photo there is the outline shadow of a small lad. He looked on from his yard at the curious site of a wooden box with a black cape attached and a man underneath. Curiosity got the best of him and he walked over to investigate.

Thanks for stopping a minute. Comments are welcome good or bad. These aren't going to make my name a household word, just an afternoons worth of pleasure looking at the world upside down and blurry.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jim,

That's so neat! Impressive first 4 pictures. This is a very pleasing format. Comments to follow.

My congratulations on restoring a piece of photographic history. I really wonder whether there really is any need for any more cameras to be made! I am willing to wager that the median life span of cameras must be about 3 years or less. Most will have only have been used for less than 3,000 shots.

So is the film for the 5x12 coming from your cut down Kodak aero film roll or what? I'd love to see pictures of the camera and the lens before and after your spit, polish and new bellows gave it new life.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Famous quotes...

.....I really wonder whether there really is any need for any more cameras to be made! I am willing to wager that the median life span of cameras must be about 3 years or less. Most will have only have been used for less than 3,000 shots....
LOL, this is a quote worthy of the following ;-))

1899 "Everything that can be invented has already been invented.", Charles H. Duell, director of the U.S. Patent Office

1943 "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.", Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM

1968 "But what ... is it good for?" Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM commenting on the microchip.

1977 "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp..

1980 "DOS addresses only 1 Megabyte of RAM because we cannot imagine any applications needing more." Microsoft on the development of DOS.

1981 "640k ought to be enough for anybody.", Bill Gates

Joking aside, I fully agree with Asher's comments. Thanks Jim for sharing these with us :).

Cheers,

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Well I'd say you're off to a fine start with your revitalized 512, Jim. I'm sure there must be a special feeling seeing the results from a camera older than you (and probably than your parents) that you've devoted effort to resurrect.

My favorite banquet camera work is that of the late Art Sinsabaugh, whose archive is housed at Indiana University. In 2004 the Art Institute of Chicago featured a large exhibit of his work (he worked with larger camera than yours) and it was positively breathtaking. (They even had his camera on display.) I became fascinated with Sinsabaugh and the possibilities of a "banquet" camera (although I've never even touched one). Amazon still has copies of the catalogue for sale, in case you're looking for inspiration.

I look forward to seeing more of your work with this 512, Jim. (Hey, how about posting some snaps of the camera?)

Jim Galli

Thanks all. I didn't think to photograph it when I got it so you only get an after. Suffice to say the main center section, when I tried to extend the crispy original bellows, pulled itself all to pieces and required extensive re-glueing. It still isn't quite perfect. The gear train skips around, something that would drive most folks nuts. I plan to carefully lift the gear track and cut some pieces of sheet film into shim stock to raise it up just a tiny bit.

512_0.jpg

the rose bud

The nice thing about this one is it had 4 excellent film holders with it. It also still had it's rear bed extension.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Wow, Jim. Thanks for the snap of the camera. That's a beauty! Can you show a detail of that manufacturer's plate below the lens? How did you come upon this camera?

Jim Galli

Thanks Ken. It was on Ebay of course :~'))

Asher, yes, the driver behind this particular camera is the aerial recon Panatomic X. Some of the finest film on earth and pictures with this camera average about 29 cents.

Charlotte Thompson

My first impression was "antique old" the very soft old fog that hangs or clings to these shots is strong-as if a ghost haunts each picture- I love the soft feel and also the strength-as if a graveyard of old pictures- very cool!

Charlotte