• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Covered Light

Charlotte Thompson

I am trying a study on the idea of light under a lampshade-the shadow that plays against light-
the different shades from cloth to glass-different shapes and sizes -here is my number 1 to start-

DSC_0142.jpg

Doug Earle

Charlotte:
I'm not exactly sure what this study is going for. Can you articulate it in another way? One thing I'd say is that this lacks tension/energy, which is unusual for your work.

Maybe if I understood what you're going for I could give a better critique.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am trying a study on the idea of light under a lampshade-the shadow that plays against light-
the different shades from cloth to glass-different shapes and sizes -here is my number 1 to start-

DSC_0142.jpg

Hi Charlotte the premise is simple and easilly understood. But where is the execution? So far I don't see substantial shadows just the penumbra of the light. The description promises shadows. We are being short changed. You picked a subject which is at the core of a lot of good work, the interplay between shading and form.

Now is this going to be just todays love interest or do you commit to making from this a cohehrent strong body of work that can speak for you? If this i your intention, others and I for one will try our best to encourage you and give you feedback as to how you are staying withing the constraints of you goal. You should try to define this in more detail. Your titles often are too sloppy for for your subject work Maybe that's your poetics but we need a clear description of what you plan to do.

You already have a lot of child portraits to work on. So far we have no body of work that stands on its own representing you. The end result has to be a convincing and coherent if you want to sell pictures. If not, it doesn't matter much as its just personal entertainment and that a great thing too! For others to show an interest, it must be that you are passionate and drive to externalize this idea as part of a long term body of like work

You'll indicate if our feedback helps
Continue working and produce at least 2-3 drafts a month and aim to complete a unit of the project in one month. You can always come back to a print and improve how it's printed, but fundamentally a schedule is preferred and then we can get excited watching your progress and how you solve problems.

We all need to ration our time. Be assured. if you demonstrate hard work, applying feedback where helpful, dedicate yourself to one project, then you will get the support you need since it will come naturally.

This ramble is far longer than intended. However, I'm worried about too many projects starting. Now we're all looking to invest energy wisely.

Your title gives a great premise and promise. In short, this picture looks like a study up the dress of the lampshade! It needs to be rethought out so the subject is the shadows falling on a surface, shadows come from whatever's in the way, so that's part of you homework!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Doug and Asher-

Maybe my explanation wasn't enough because I am still developing the idea/concept of shading and shadows and light-
I picked lamps because they have always fascinated me with the way they play on dark to light
and
I think this is coming out of my artistic background with oils pen and ink and murals I used to do- Suddenly it occured to me this is what is happening in my brain- it is not as the shadows that play from the sun or other sources but the shades and shadows one does from oils and pencil and ink etc.
as the idea expands I began to understand just what I was trying to say/show-
so I have tried 2 overlays withat idea
some ps work/art for shading the light into another form of sorts and of course mixing light fixtures
because of your questions I began to look further into this conception and came to a conculsion of a kind- thank you both-
it does take a while to understand what it is you yourself are doing or what direction your art is taking you-
wanting to get away from portraits a bit to stretch my wings - in other directions

lights1.jpg

lights.jpg

Doug Earle

Charlotte:
I like both of these last two. Abstract, with energy and movement. I think you are on to something. Keep experiementing.

Charlotte Thompson

Doug

yes the thought begins a new movement-thank you for coming back and taking a look again
and always for your thoughts
I may look at these in black and white- to see if it plays out even more in drama-and also to continue with this idea
thanks again!

Charlotte-

Rachel Foster

Charlotte, I'm not sure what it needs, but I'm wanting something. More contrast? B&W? Baffled here. Of course, could just be me (sleep-deprived).

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Charlotte,
I like the concept. It most definately has potential.
Might you consider capturing the shadows a uniquely shaped lampshade projects, along with the lamp/light itself? That might make for another interesting image, eh?

doug anderson

DSC_0142.jpg

Charlotte: this is not as risky as your usual work. It's a little William Eggelstonish, but I'd prefer to see the whole lamp for some reason.

D