• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

DXO Launches Image Quality Site

http://www.dxomark.com/

dxomark.com (beta version) is a new website featuring the first database of objective digital camera image quality measurements entirely accessible via the internet. In addition to the Image Quality Database itself, dxomark.com proposes a new scale, the DxOMark Sensor scale, that enables to rank digital camera with a single number: an easy tool for photographers to evaluate and compare models.

I have a healthy amount of skepticism that one rating number will be even partially useful because image quality can be dramatically affected by firmware updates. Most of my criterion for choosing a particular camera is usability and feature sets these days. The quality differences among sensors are generally not so large that they can't be compensated for with decent software. I did find the extra sensors in Fuji's Super CCD to be intriguing when we were reverse engineering the format, but then again the results I've seen from the HDR folks can push an image much further. My opinion is that hardcore hardware analysis is sort of a niche and that most people are more interested in overall assessments. What do y'all think?

-Colleen

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Colleen

while it's true what you say, still it might be interesting - for some - to look at the source point. The advantage of that mehode looks to me, to avoid some biasing °im between-stuff° like RC's etc, which have their own strengt and weak side, too, and might therefore influence the comparison.

Nice to get °proved° with numbers, that even my 1 Ds-2 vom ole 04 is still a good cam ;-)

Mike Shimwell

I think it has it's uses, DXo are up front in making the point that actually it's about what should be available from the camera independent of raw converter impact. One use is to demonstrat that actually, in spite of different emphases, the high end canons and nikons are very similar in effciency and that much of the internet posturing is nonsense.

I was disappointed that I couldn't find any results for my interchangeable sensor Ikon though:)

Mike