• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flowers in Monochrome!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was working with some images of flowers and realized that in monochrome, the picture changes considerably and moves away from the immediate excitement and attraction of the vivid colors and allows more of the form to come though. Of course, this is well known, but as we don't often go on this path with flowers that have been grown, selected and propagated for eons bases on attractive colors. So here we can be regressive and just deal with form and tonalities.

IMG_1187.jpg

Asher Kelman: Rose #1

IMG_1186.jpg

Asher Kelman: Rose #2

These are just flowers, by the sidewalk, hanging on through the winds and rain of November in Los Anglees.

Asher

Very cool photos, Asher.

I like taking photos of flowers and like taking them from different perspective, such as from below or behind or if in more conventional ways, I often end up making them monochrome. I have several.

Here are a few:

amiblue2.jpg

Am I blue 2 - © Maggie Terlecki

amiblue3.jpg

Am I blue 3 - © Maggie Terlecki

amiblue4.jpg

Am I blue 4 - © Maggie Terlecki

amiblue5.jpg

Am I blue 5 - © Maggie Terlecki

Flowers in Monochrome.

8024786404_03e1018b21_b.jpg
Mother of Millions, Wire Fence​

Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa Classic MCC 111 VC FB photographic paper, image size 18.3cm X 21.4cm, from a Kodak Tmax 100 rollfilm negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 medium format single lens reflex camera fitted with a 127mm f3.8 lens and #25 red filter.

Titled, signed, and stamped verso.

That is so pretty, Maris, is that some kind of Fritillaria? I'm actually never seen any for real, so am curious. :)

It's Bryophyllum delagoense an ornamental plant from Madagascar that is toxic to grazing animals and has become a noxious weed in Australia. The common name is "Mother of Millions" because of its reproductive capacity.

The flowers are brilliant red but their tonality on panchromatic film matches the dark green foliage behind the fence. Problem? Use a red filter! Now the flowers glow white while the green background recedes to dark grey.

What is it about the world that many dangerous things, toxic plants, fast motorcycles, and tigers, are also beautiful?

fahim mohammed

p1311358534-5.jpg

Each Morn a thousand Roses brings, you say:

Yes, but where leaves the Rose of Yesterday?

And this first Summer month that brings the Rose

Could take you and me away.​

Asher Kelman

It's Bryophyllum delagoense an ornamental plant from Madagascar that is toxic to grazing animals and has become a noxious weed in Australia. The common name is "Mother of Millions" because of its reproductive capacity.

The flowers are brilliant red but their tonality on panchromatic film matches the dark green foliage behind the fence. Problem? Use a red filter! Now the flowers glow white while the green background recedes to dark grey.

What is it about the world that many dangerous things, toxic plants, fast motorcycles, and tigers, are also beautiful?

Maris,

What birds do they attract? I like the idea that they look like succulents and could need less water.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

We can look forward to life, growing up, finding an identity and a partner and a common journey and then one can look back! Your diptych reminds me of this!

p1311358534-5.jpg

This is what I see here, the ripe rose and the petals remaining after the winds of time have passed by.

Asher

p1311358534-5.jpg

I particularly love the second one that has already shared its beauty and now bares its soul.
The first one appears more stiff and I think it may not be a real flower.

This appears to be work of Dave Dilli ADK

p1075634536-4.jpg

p1075638920-4.jpg

These are very beautiful and to me have emotion attached to them. I like your post processing and your vision.
Well done!

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

p1075634536-4.jpg

p1075638920-4.jpg

I did some checking as I was puzzled why a name like Robin Smith would link pictures from an account under Dave Dilli. So I contacted Dave, and he's going to comment. These pictures were not posted by him and he has no connection with Robin Smith.

Once Dave posts, claiming his pictures are used without his consent, Robin will be banned as per Terms of Service! Then I'll tidy up and remove his name from association with Dave's pictures.

Asher

Dave Dilli

caught

Hey everyone,
I would like to thank Asher for pointing out that Robin has used my images without my permission. I am not sure why she would do so, but nevertheless she did.

You can see the original images at my site here:

http://davedilli.zenfolio.com/p245823124/h401ce168#h401ce168

I also have posted them iin the black and white gallery at this site:

http://davedilli.com

Thanks so much for catching this Asher - now I am off to explore this forum!
Dave

Asher

I just remembered, isn't Robin Smith the person that was spamming us last month? I thought that member was already banned.

Dave,

As I said above, your photos as gorgeous! Beautiful work.
Maggie

Asher Kelman

Hey everyone,
I would like to thank Asher for pointing out that Robin has used my images without my permission. I am not sure why she would do so, but nevertheless she did.

You can see the original images at my site here:

http://davedilli.zenfolio.com/p245823124/h401ce168#h401ce168

I also have posted them iin the black and white gallery at this site:

http://davedilli.com

Thanks so much for catching this Asher - now I am off to explore this forum!
Dave

Dave,

We're ahead by having been introduced to your work. I hope you will like what you find here and then you might share more of your work!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Dave, gorgeous work to entice us to want for more.

Asher, Maggie..my apologies. I somehow missed your responses.
Thank you both kindly for your comments.

Maggie, that is a real flower! :)

Best regards.

Asher Kelman

Well I'd better add another while we're waiting for Dave!

_MG_8012_900.jpg

Asher Kelman: At The Market

Beverly Hills December 2012

Enjoy!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

I really like the simple pattern of the round leaves flowing on the water. Is there any detail to be found in the dark surface? I'd love to know how you are going to print this. The near metallic tones of the leaves are interesting. how this is printed is the big challenge. I'd love to know your approach. Do you select any for silver gelatin opt platinum printing or is it all pigment ink?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jake,

I wonder how you made the transformation to B&W or is this film? I'm not at a computer to see in EXIF details. In either case, the filters you have used assigned similar tonality to the flower as to the leaves. Is this really what you wanted and needed for the picture. If yes, then my comments are mute. If there's some creative room, however, assigning the colors of the leaves and flower to separate tonalities could perhaps give you even more satisfaction.

Asher

In homage to Antonio Correia's striking and beautiful picture I offer:
7994504364_2f0ae15630_c.jpg

Flowering Water Lillies, Noosa​

Gelatin-silver photograph on Freestyle Private reserve VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.3cm X 14.7cm, from a Kodak Tmax 100 6x9 rollfilm negative exposed in a "23" Graflex back fitted to a Tachihara 45GF double extension field view camera equipped with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens and #25 red filter.
Titled and signed recto, stamped verso.

The red filter lowered the tone of the deep green leaves while raising the tone of the pink flowers.

Asher Kelman

In homage to Antonio Correia's striking and beautiful picture I offer:
7994504364_2f0ae15630_c.jpg

Flowering Water Lillies, Noosa​

Gelatin-silver photograph on Freestyle Private reserve VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.3cm X 14.7cm, from a Kodak Tmax 100 6x9 rollfilm negative exposed in a "23" Graflex back fitted to a Tachihara 45GF double extension field view camera equipped with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens and #25 red filter.
Titled and signed recto, stamped verso.

The red filter lowered the tone of the deep green leaves while raising the tone of the pink flowers.

Magnificent follow on to Antonio's image! Do you just choose the filters by instinct now or is it necessary to fine tune by seeing how the flowers and leaves respond?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Antonio, I really like the simple pattern of the round leaves flowing on the water. Is there any detail to be found in the dark surface? I'd love to know how you are going to print this. The near metallic tones of the leaves are interesting. how this is printed is the big challenge. I'd love to know your approach. Do you select any for silver gelatin opt platinum printing or is it all pigment ink? Asher

Thank you Asher for your comment and thank you also for giving me the idea to photograph flowers or at least, make a collection of them in dual tone or simply toned.
But regarding the printing issue I am not going to print it in large format but rather in a simple and humble A5 so it can be part of Folios I am making as legacy or even trying to publish and sell. LOL LOL

And this rose a question for me at once. How have I done that image ? Would I be able to do it again ?
As I had not in mind to make a folio based on flowers I just made this one without thinking how to repeat the process.
Before writing these lines I have been trying to do so and I couldn't recreate the image which leads me to the point where I have to establish some tonne setting for the future because in what concerns black and white I let my eyes guide me.

Anyway, I wouldn't print but in Ilford paper or Hahnemuhle's. I have A5, A4 and A3 and I print only on my Epson R3000. The price of the prints here is rather expensive or, shall I say that the crise - quickly growing these days - doesn't let me do so ? :)

No Asher, in fact there isn't any detail on the water... :)

Magnificent follow on to Antonio's image! Do you just choose the filters by instinct now or is it necessary to fine tune by seeing how the flowers and leaves respond?

Asher

The metallic gleams on the green leaves were exaggerated by dropping the green almost to black. I confirmed the effect by looking through the red filter before screwing it onto the lens. Raising the tone of the flowers was a side-effect I was happy to accept. Antonio's picture is beautiful and subtle. Mine is a bit heavy-handed. I'm off to look at more water lillies; but with new eyes.

Jake,

I wonder how you made the transformation to B&W or is this film? I'm not at a computer to see in EXIF details. In either case, the filters you have used assigned similar tonality to the flower as to the leaves. Is this really what you wanted and needed for the picture. If yes, then my comments are mute. If there's some creative room, however, assigning the colors of the leaves and flower to separate tonalities could perhaps give you even more satisfaction.

Asher

This image started as a flop. a mis-focused shot! Taken with the D90 and nikkor 180mm f2.8 ais. After viewing it I liked how my eyes were drawn to the flower but not intensely drawn to it. It seemed to be hidden among leafs. Our natural habit to for our eyes to be drawn to different shapes is what I liked about it. I'm not really sure why I liked it so much. It just seemed cool, to me, that my eyes continued to be drawn to the un-focused flower.

Asher Kelman

This image started as a flop. a mis-focused shot! Taken with the D90 and nikkor 180mm f2.8 ais. After viewing it I liked how my eyes were drawn to the flower but not intensely drawn to it. It seemed to be hidden among leafs. Our natural habit to for our eyes to be drawn to different shapes is what I liked about it. I'm not really sure why I liked it so much. It just seemed cool, to me, that my eyes continued to be drawn to the un-focused flower.

Didn't see anything wrong with the focus, just wondering about how you got to the final presentation.

:)

Asher